Driver's foot heat

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
FoxTv

Driver's foot heat

Post by FoxTv »

My Vibe doesn't seem to heat the driver's foot a lot. It's -12C here and my foot are cold even if the heat is at max and only on the "foot" setting. Anyone else experience this?
viBert

Re: Driver's foot heat (FoxTv)

Post by viBert »

If you turn on the recirculate button it should help it got hotter. A lot of the heat is coming out under the front seats to heat the rear. I find the Vibe takes a while to really heat up because it has a lot of air volume. It is a lot like my Montana minivan in that way.
Base 2 tone Salsa, auto, power pack Mississauga, Ontario, Canada I'd rather be sailing but the Vibe makes me a happy landlubber.
FoxTv

Re: Driver's foot heat (silverawd26)

Post by FoxTv »

Yea, it's -12 celcius. But, it was not hot even after a 50km trip. I will try the recirculate button. Thanks
KSNeptune

Post by KSNeptune »

Cold feet can also be a sign of poor blood circulation to your feet.Stick your bare hand down there after the car is warmed up and see if you feel any warm air coming out. If you do, but your feet don't get warmer, go see a doctor about it.Yes, my wife's a doctor. And I don't even play one on TV.KSNeptune
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Wow, that long of a trip and the car didn't get warm inside? Either you are driving around with all the windows down or there is a problem with the heater core. My guess is the latter of the two.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
FoxTv

Re: Driver's foot heat (Stang2Vibe)

Post by FoxTv »

I didn't say the car doesn't get warm inside ! I check this morning, and there hot air coming out form the driver side. And it's strong... But it look aim at the leg and not the feet of the driver. It's not that bad, but it could be better.
ourvibe

Post by ourvibe »

We get very little heat coming out of the floor registers. (-24c this morning D_ _ _ _ cold) Even with the recirculate on/off it seems most of air comes out of top dash vents. This is in all distribution modes. If I close the dash vents seems to help a bit. Taking it back to dealer at first oil change and will get them to look at it.Meanwhile we wear heavy socks.
2003 Vibe AWD AutoMonotone Satellite
baltimore17

Re: Driver's foot heat (ourvibe)

Post by baltimore17 »

The upper dash vents on the extreme right and left have air flow regardless of where you want to send the heat, so closing them would be a good start. Watch out for fogging (frosting?) with the recirc on for long periods of time in the winter.Does your temperature gauge show that the engine is in the normal operating range? Years ago, I had a coolant thermostat stick open in the engine during a long winter trip. The engine never warmed up and we froze. I finally stopped at a McDonalds, grabbed a paper place mat, stuck it in front of the radiator, and got some heat into the engine (and car). This is not a recommended technique!Actually, even with daytime temps in the 40s around here, I agree that the Vibe doesn't seem to be a great foot toaster.
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

I also find the Vibe's heater is not as good a I had hopped. We hit -15 celsius over the last week here in Calgary, Canada, and found the floor heat not working well. Also noticed the extreme left and right vents pushing air despite using floor setting. I've got the Vibe booked to the dealer and I'm going to get it checked. Something doesn't seem right here. It took a long time for the car to warm up and my feet were cold as well. This despite having the Vibe stored in my garage. I'm also going to get the dealer to check the thermostat and ensure it is meant for the Canadian climate as opposed to California's. Any yes... I did use the recirculate feature as well but I found it didn't help much more.
LesterbBase Vibe, Salsa, Moons & Tunes, Power and Sport package,5 speed manual, and Security system. Two tone.
Sputnik

Re: Driver's foot heat (lesterb)

Post by Sputnik »

Just yesterday my boyfriend and I were out in the Vibe, and my boyfriend was complaining that his feet were cold (he was driving). So he cranked up the fan to high and put it on the foot setting. My feet were fine, but his didn't get very warm.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

quote:Best thing to do, is start up the car, place the heat vent dial to the feet area and have the fan as high as it can go, and them see if it puts out heat.... Usually you have to have it put on the FEET option on the dial. The little guy sitting and thr arrow going towards his feet.Yes, thanks I know what the foot setting is. And yes, as I said, we did have the fan on high and the dial to the foot setting.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
NovaResource

Re: Driver's foot heat (lesterb)

Post by NovaResource »

quote:Also noticed the extreme left and right vents pushing air despite using floor setting. I've got the Vibe booked to the dealer and I'm going to get it checked. Something doesn't seem right here. Dude, read your owners manual. That is normal. See page : 3-2quote:(Floor): This position directs the airflow toward the floor and through the right and left side vents. The side vents can be shut off to allow for more air to be directed toward the floor.(Defog): This position directs the airflow toward the floor, the windshield and the side windows. The air also comes from both vents at the ends of the instrument panel.And on page 3-4 you will read:quote:HeatingFor the quickest results, press the recirculate button and move the mode knob to the floor setting. Turn the temperature knob clockwise for warmer air and turn the fan knob toward HI. You should switch to outside air once in a while to avoid stale air and fogging windows. To prevent cold air from blowing in and to increase air flow to the floor area, you may close the outer instrument panel vents.And on page 3-6 you will read:quote:HeatingFor the quickest results, press the recirculate button and move the mode knob to the floor setting. Turn the temperature knob clockwise for warmer air and turn the fan knob toward HI. You should switch to outside air once in a while to avoid stale air and fogging windows. To prevent cold air from blowing in and to increase air flow to the floor area, you may close the outer instrument panel vents.You didn't even read baltimore17's post just two above yours. He wrote:quote:The upper dash vents on the extreme right and left have air flow regardless of where you want to send the heat, so closing them would be a good start. I think you should cancel that dealer appointemnt because that's the way it's was designed to work.Don't take offense because I've said this before to many other and I'll say it again to even more people:READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!
Vibe

Re: Driver's foot heat (ourvibe)

Post by Vibe »

Yes-- LOL I found that out to. I noticed a little air coming from the two outer vent---Owners manual plainly states --This is normal. Now come to think of it I like having a trickle of heat blowing up top. I remember one night I read my owners manual from cover to cover and picked up more than I thought I knew. Not all cars are designed the same. James
Guy in PHX

Post by Guy in PHX »

It appears our Vibes have an option usually found on more expenxive vehicles, rear passenger floor heat vents. Nice for thoses in the rear seats, but it must diminish the air flow available to the front. Look under your front seats. The vents are easily visable. You might try blocking these outlets and see if it makes any significant difference.
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

quote:Nova, are you talking about me. I read the owners manual. I was stating if the heat was not coming out equally on both sides then take it to the dealer.If you look at the title of my post it clearly shows that I was responding to lesterb: "Re: Driver's foot heat (lesterb)"You see the name listed in the parenthesis? That is the person I replied to. Did you write any of the quotes I posted? No, so why do you think I was talking to you?
lesterb

Re: Driver's foot heat (NovaResource)

Post by lesterb »

Yes, Nick I see what you mean. I only have had my Vibe for a couple of weeks now and I have read the manual from cover to cover but only once. I guess I panicked and I still need to get familiar with my Vibe. The car has to go in to the dealership anyway for the hatch adjustment. I find you really have to slam the hatch to close it properly. Plus I'm getting my mudflaps and the winter floormats installed. All in all I love the Vibe. I'll take your advice and read the manual a couple of times more.Thanks for your input!
LesterbBase Vibe, Salsa, Moons & Tunes, Power and Sport package,5 speed manual, and Security system. Two tone.
robdog

Re: Driver's foot heat (Guy in PHX)

Post by robdog »

My vibe takes forever to heat up as well, once it gets going it is ok, it just takes a while, I think more heat and air come out of the vents when I have it directly on the floor then when I have it blasting on the face only setting. go figure
03, Abyss monotone GT, 6 disk changer, moon and tunes, Cargo mat/nets, power package, side airbags, AEM Short Ram Intake, Borla exhaust , 35% tint all around, F1 strut tower brace, debadged, 17" Excel rims w/ federal ss595 tires.
joatmon

Re: Driver's foot heat (robdog)

Post by joatmon »

reviving an old threadIn other vehicles I've had, the foot outlet is down on the floor. In the vibe, it's under the dashboard and blows down. Almost seems as if my right leg blocks the air flow from really getting down to the floor (and my feet) like I expect it to. If you feel you're not getting enough hot air to warm your feet, it may just be the design of the Vibe's air distribution ducts, and not necessarily mean somethings broken (or easily corrected)
Fialchar

Re: Driver's foot heat (Guy in PHX)

Post by Fialchar »

Wow.. -12 degress? OoIt's like 80-90 degrees F here on an average day. I usually have the windows down and the sunroof open, or the A/C on full blast.It may sound strange, but I'm jealous of the cold weather