Cutting the cargo mat

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
vibegirl

Cutting the cargo mat

Post by vibegirl »

Ok... I went to put the cargo mat in my Vibe and could not believe that it does not fit in when a child's car seat is bolted in. The safety belt bolts down on the hook in the hatch and this prevents the mat from lying flat ! Has anyone solved this problem? I plan on cutting a hole for it, but am concerned it will tear or fray. Most manufacturers have figured this out and have proceede to put the bolt down hooks on the back of the seat.
Abyss Vibe, power package, alloy wheels, 6 speaker system, cargo mat, mud guards and bumper protector!
Flip-Side

Re: Cutting the cargo mat (vibegirl)

Post by Flip-Side »

quote: Most manufacturers have figured this out and have proceede to put the bolt down hooks on the back of the seat.Due to the fold-flat style seats and regulations on L.A.T.C.H. the seats in the vibe cannot support the anchor in an accident as well as one on the floor in the cargo area. I too have had this problem, and cut a hole in my rubber mat. If your liner has rubber backing, it shouldn't fray much if you cut a hole for the anchor.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
cohocarl

Re: Cutting the cargo mat (vibegirl)

Post by cohocarl »

I bet if you just took a utility knife and made a slit in the exact area that the belt needs to go through, it may not leave a permanent hole when the seat belt is removed.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
baltimore17

Re: Cutting the cargo mat (cohocarl)

Post by baltimore17 »

Run a strip of duct tape across the back of the mat where you're about to cut the slit. Might keep the backing from fraying at least. You could also take the mat to a carpet store and they could bind the edges of the hole. Might cost some money, but would look real professional.
vibegirl

Re: Cutting the cargo mat (cohocarl)

Post by vibegirl »

Greta ideas! I'll let you know how it went.
Abyss Vibe, power package, alloy wheels, 6 speaker system, cargo mat, mud guards and bumper protector!