Changing the color of the gauges

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Stang2Vibe

Changing the color of the gauges

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket gauge kit for the Vibe so I can get rid of the orange colored gauges? Pontiac has been using the orange gauges for about 20 years now and I am sick of it. It was cool for a while in the '80's, but now I think that it is just tacky. I wouldn't care that the radio still lit up orange, but the gauges have to go. With so many nice looking aftermarket gauges out there for other cars, I wonder if anyone is making them for the Vibe.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Vibe Rater

Re: Changing the color of the gauges (Stang2Vibe)

Post by Vibe Rater »

It may be as simple as changing a bulb? Anybody?
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Changing the color of the gauges (Vibe Rater)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

quote:It may be as simple as changing a bulb? Anybody?I'm not sure at 100% but I think bulbs are clear, the tint is directly in the board
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Changing the color of the gauges (Vibe Rater)

Post by NSimkins »

See this thread for more info. It's harder than you think:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=1346
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Changing the color of the gauges (NSimkins)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

Oh my God. Changing solded LEDs....May be the best to get another colour is to wait an aftermarker part who remplace the entire gauge pod.
Stang2Vibe

Re: Changing the color of the gauges (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

I agree. What a major pain that would be. I was assuming that since the Vibe and Matrix both suffer from the same orange gauges that what made them orange was just the backing of the gauge faces themselves. I would have never dreamed that they would have bothered to solder in the darn ugly orange LED's. I'm kinda surprised that they even used LED's for the gauges rather than just a bulb or two behind the faces. God, I hope that some company comes out with an alternative to these gauges. Since Toyota basicly makes these cars, why didn't they just use the nice white gauges like in the '03 Corolla?
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Changing the color of the gauges (Stang2Vibe)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

quote:why didn't they just use the nice white gauges like in the '03 Corolla?Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think '03 Corolla S has red gauges.
Stang2Vibe

Re: Changing the color of the gauges (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Nope. My sister got her '03 Corolla S about 3 weeks before I got my Vibe. The Corolla's gauges (in all trim forms) are black with white illuminated readouts. She even commented on why, since so much of the Vibe's interior is taken from the Corolla, does the Vibe have the ugly orange gauges.