Tire tie down straps?

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
suzye

Tire tie down straps?

Post by suzye »

I bought a used vibe two weeks ago and in the glove box along with the hooks to install in the cargo area were some straps. I opened the package and on them was a label that said "tire tie down strap" or something to that effect (I dont have them with me right now). It said to look in the manual for information. I looked in the manual and was unable to locate information about what these straps were for. I saw one diagram where there was some kind of strap holding open the rear cargo floor presumably so you could remove thejack, etc. Is that what these straps are for or are they for something else? Your help is appreciated.
Salsa base vibe, automatic, power package
NovaResource

Re: Tire tie down straps? (suzye)

Post by NovaResource »

Check the manual again. Pages 5-28 and 5-29 show the procedure.
Yoda

Re: Tire tie down straps? (suzye)

Post by Yoda »

Not sure about this, but the minispare is way smaller than the tires on the car and the flat (probably) won't fit in the spare tire well. SO to keep a flat tire from bouncing around in the interior as you go careening around corners way too fast in your minispare shodded vehicle, pontiac thoughtfully included some tie down straps for your flat...My guess is that it might even be a legal requirement of some kind, I dunno (anyone, anyone else...)
My old Abyss GT - Power, Moon and Tunes, Monochrome Mods - Installed , then removed, Sylvannia Silverstars (Headlamp only)Future mods - ?
PBFlash

Re: Tire tie down straps? (Yoda)

Post by PBFlash »

Yes they are to hold down your normal size tire. In the meantime they make great tie down straps for any other cargo you may be hauling.
Satellite Vibe GTMoons and Tunes Package with 6-Disc In Dash CD, Safety/Security/Power Packages, cargo mat. 35% tint all around (except windshield)18 in Motegi Racing MR8 Wheels/Nitto NT 555 225/40ZR-18 tiresStainless Steel Exhaust TipInjen CAIPics of my Vibe CarDomain.com
Stang2Vibe

Re: Tire tie down straps? (PBFlash)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Once again the posters here have got the story correct to a T. My Vibe came with the cargo net package listed on the sticker as a $25 option. When I took delivery of the car, we went over all the features, etc., and I asked where the cargo nets were. The salesman opened the floor compartment, rooted around in it for a few seconds and handed me the tie down straps and told me that they were the "cargo nets". I was suspicious of this and thought that it was cheezy, so I did some investigating. I looked in the owner's manual and found the pages referred to in the post above and discovered that they were actually the tire tie downs in case of a flat. I went on the GM accessories website and looked up the cargo nets. There they were, typical cargo nets custom sized for the Vibe. I went back to the dealer the next day, and my salesman looked into it further. It turns out that the nets are shipped to the dealers separate from the vehicles to which they belong and were sent to the parts department. They were kept on reserve by the car's vin # and were found and sent up to me. I use them often and I really like them. The splash guards I bought there were a nice addition, too.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.