Seat belt warning signal

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
sporto

Seat belt warning signal

Post by sporto »

I just got a new 2005 Vibe and I love it. My one issue is the seat belt warning beep that comes on if someone in the passenger seat doesn't put on the seat belt within 30 seconds or if they remove it too soon.Any thoughts on how to either disable this or give more time before the beep goes off? Thanks
joatmon

Re: Seat belt warning signal (sporto)

Post by joatmon »

Hi sporto, and welcome to genvibeThis has come up a lot lately, I don't remember if there was an easy solution or not, but if you use the search feature to look for threads that have the word belt in the title, you can find a couple of previous discussions. I have a 2003, and the passenger seatbelt warning was an annoying flashing light, whcih was easy to disconnect (which I did because most of the time the passenger seat only carried my laptop bag, and all the crap I carry around in it is heavy enough to trigger the warning light)
sporto

Post by sporto »

THanks. I'll take a look around.
GMJAP

Re: (sporto)

Post by GMJAP »

I think the "summary" of all the discussions was that cutting the wires to the latch is the only practical way. However, these signal wires also tie into the airbag system, so it's very much advised against.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
the_nite_owl

Post by the_nite_owl »

OK, here is another electronics project if someone wants it.Goal: Install a beeper override that temporarily shuts down the annoying warning signal.That beeping is annoying and sometimes it is just not as simple as putting on the seat belt.We cannot totally disconnect that beeper because it is there for other purposes as well and cutting the leads at the seat belt can cause problems with the airbag and pretensioner systems.First a question: What other events does that beeper sound off for?The only one that comes to mind immediately is when you leave your keys in the ignition. Possibly also when ignition is on and the door is open? Will have to test that.To start with a partial solution can be to install an override button.Cut the leads to the piezo beeper on the instrument cluster (that is where it is located right?) and run both sides of the cut lead out to a relay.Use normally closed contacts on the relay so that the circuit is complete unless you specifically override it by pushing the button.Build a simple latching circuit for the relay tied into a momentary pushbutton. So when the button is pushed it energizes the latching circuit which keeps power going to the relay even when the button is released. The relay breaks the contacts to the beeper and all beeping stops.Now, to keep the key-in-ignition warning working all you need to do is tie the power for the latching circuit into a line that goes live when the ignition is ON. When the ignition is turned off power to the latching circuit and relay are dropped and the beeper is again active.This way the beeping only stops if you press the button to stop it and it resets itself as soon as the ignition is turned off.If you want to get fancy a relay circuit can be used to cause the whole circuit to reset upon a second press of the button or you can use a single extra relay and a two pole momentary toggle so that pushing one way turns the circuit on, pushing the other way turns it off again.Also, if there are other features you want to keep then for instance you could use the opening of the door (maybe pick up off the dome light or even at the door switch) to cause breaking of power to the latching circuit and everything resets.Complexity depends on how far you want to take it. The most basic version requires two relays a momentary switch/button and a bit of effort dealing with the buzzer itself.Anybody wanna give it a try?
the_nite_owl

Re: Seat belt warning signal (joatmon)

Post by the_nite_owl »

joatmon, have you looked at the info regarding child seats?I do not know if it applies to the 03 model but in 05 when you are installing a child seat in the front the airbag system needs to be overridden so it does not deploy when there is a child seat there.Something about placing the device on the seat and turning on the ignition can cause it to reset it's pressure sensor so that it is no longer triggering from the weight of the car seat or something to that effect.I only vaguely remember it as I was skimming the manual but it could be useful for you when you are putting a bag on the seat next to you that is heavy enough to trigger the seatbelt/airbag sensor.Consider that a relatively heavy object not strapped down in that seat could be deflected to the side during an accident if the airbag deploys on that side and could cause injury to the driver or passengers in the back seat.The airbag deploys and deflates pretty quick but if the bag goes projectile WHILE the airbag is deploying it could get shot back off at another angle.
pissedoffgokart

Post by pissedoffgokart »

I wonder if it is anything like my old Exploder. If you hold the seatbelt release button down for a few seconds (30) it might trick the monitor into believing the belt is fastened. It worked for the Ford. Another idea would be to just get a belt from a junk yard and just connect the extra latch only when know one is using the seat. It should just operate on a grounding/completing the circuit principal. Of course I could be wrong...
joatmon

Re: Seat belt warning signal (the_nite_owl)

Post by joatmon »

on my 03, the passenger seat belt warning is just a light, it's not tied into the beeper. The drivers side might be, but I've never driven without the seat belt on so I don't know. Carrying anything on the passenger seat that is not strapped down can be a problem in a hard braking situation, inertia can cause it to slide off and hit the dash. if the airbag were to deploy, it probably would shoot the thing backwards, or maybe off at an angle, so I guess that could be a problem. Sucks when some body makes me slam on the brakes, I find my right arm relflexively goes over to keep the laptop bag from launching, instead of keeping both hands ready to operate the vehicle. it would be good for me to put the thing on the floor instead, but I like to give it the extra cushoning of the seat, so I guess if I am going to keep it on the seat, I should belt it in.Anyway, since my passenger seat belt warning is only an easily disabled light, that's what I did, and the latching beeper disable relay sounds workable, but solves a problem I don't have. I also don't find myself having situations where there is an unbelted passenger in the seat when the car is running
mspalmer

Post by mspalmer »

I also have an issue with the seat belt alarm. I don't often have a passenger in the front seat (just the 2 kids in their rear car seats). However, if my bag is too heavy or I put even a galllon of milk on the front seat, it starts beeping at me. I guess I should just belt that milk in so it is safe.
2005 Platinum AWDMoons and TunesXM RadioLLumar Window TintingWeathertech ventshauling my Taylor 410 w/Fishman pickup and Gibson SG guitars
redlava

Re: (mspalmer)

Post by redlava »

Just a thought on an easy fix... Just leave the seatbelt fastened. And in another post I think the new 06's look like they have the ability to turn off the airbag in the passenger seat.
binary

Re: (redlava)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by redlava »Just a thought on an easy fix... Just leave the seatbelt fastened. And in another post I think the new 06's look like they have the ability to turn off the airbag in the passenger seat.Good call Redlava!Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. ~Albert Einstein
ragingfish

Re: (binary)

Post by ragingfish »

And of course, don't forget Occham's Razor: "the simplest solution is almost always the explanation."
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Mase

Re: (mspalmer)

Post by Mase »

Quote, originally posted by mspalmer »...or I put even a galllon of milk on the front seat, it starts beeping at me. I guess I should just belt that milk in so it is safe.I bring a gallon of drinking water to work with me every morning. When I set it on the seat it makes the "blinky red man angry" so I just buckle the jug in.It also keeps it from rolling around when I'm driving a little spirited.
tahoan

Post by tahoan »

Don't cut anything. I found the answer to this through a google search. I will post it within the next few days. It gets rid of the passenger seat belt alarm, but not the driver's side alarm.
tahoan

Post by tahoan »

Try the following:1) Turn the Car 'ON', but do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start the car (Leave you foot off the break) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a long 12 second count.4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt, as soon as you fasten your seat belt, you should see the ODO display go from XXXX miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set and turn the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt. I tried this on my 2005 Vibe and it only disabled the passenger side alarm. I will try again. It only works, though, if there is nothing on the passenger seat while you go through this sequence. Good luck
Toasted7

Re: Seat belt warning signal (tahoan)

Post by Toasted7 »

Anyone know if this works on the Vibe?
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
binary

Post by binary »

I'm going to go try now!-edit-Yep, it works. I tried it a few ways - and you do have to hold it in and wait the +12 seconds.Thanks!
BOZACK

Re: (binary)

Post by BOZACK »

It does work. I did it on my 2005 Vibe. Had to hold the button for one minute to get it to work. But now no more bell.
Monotone Neptune, pow pac, 17" stock rims, K&N air filter, bumper guard, custom pedels, brake light cover, billet oil cap