Arm Rest Console

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
tjdean01

Arm Rest Console

Post by tjdean01 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 am

The arm rest console is too low on our 2008 base. I've seen some people talking about using the "old" console cover or a "2 stage" console cover but I can't find more info on this. Would either of these mods give me the extra 2-3" in height so our arms reach down to the console? If not, what is the purpose of using the console from previous years?

Whether I get another console lid or not, I need to increase height. I have some ideas about hard foam with adhesive, soft foam with adhesive on that, and wrapping it in black fabric. But that's not a great fix. Might as well just use a pillow. Any suggestions?
2008 base 1.8L 285k

joatmon

Re: Arm Rest Console

Post by joatmon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:36 pm

I can't remember how thick the single lid is, but I just measured and the two piece lid is 3.75 inches thick. As ,much time as I've spent in a Vibe, I still have no idea how much I use the armrest as an armrest, probably a lot more than I realize, but I like the two piece lid for the extra little storage area it provides.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:29 pm

I've bought two consoles from junk yards, one for my 08 and then another for my 05 from a local junk yard from '04's and both also had the 12v outlet and harness. Both times I took the outlet, harness and double lid and threw the console away. Replacing the lid is a two screw operation, replacing the entire console is 4 10mm bolt operation.

And after driving my 04 for many years not having the armrest was very noticeable, and I really missed the top level storage for gum, pen, etc.
'04 Base Frosty, '08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite

ckeltner

Post by ckeltner » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:24 am

I bought these oversized office chair armrest covers and they work perfectly. I wanted something that would both raise the level but I also provide a cushion because it looked as if the double armrest was still made of that uncomfortable hard plastic. I ended up stacking these one on top of the other and the band seems to hold them in place nicely. Not bad for $9.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:07 am

I do have a double arm rest laying around I can part with if you need it.
(2) '03 Bases, '03 GT, '04 AWD, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '09 AWD
GenVibe on Facebook, Everything You Need To Know About Vibes, Great How-To Index
GenVibe Meet 2019