Arm Rest Console

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic

tjdean01

Arm Rest Console

Postby tjdean01 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 am

The arm rest console is too low on our 2008 base. I've seen some people talking about using the "old" console cover or a "2 stage" console cover but I can't find more info on this. Would either of these mods give me the extra 2-3" in height so our arms reach down to the console? If not, what is the purpose of using the console from previous years?

Whether I get another console lid or not, I need to increase height. I have some ideas about hard foam with adhesive, soft foam with adhesive on that, and wrapping it in black fabric. But that's not a great fix. Might as well just use a pillow. Any suggestions?
2008 base 1.8L 285k

joatmon

Re: Arm Rest Console

Postby joatmon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:36 pm

I can't remember how thick the single lid is, but I just measured and the two piece lid is 3.75 inches thick. As ,much time as I've spent in a Vibe, I still have no idea how much I use the armrest as an armrest, probably a lot more than I realize, but I like the two piece lid for the extra little storage area it provides.

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:29 pm

I've bought two consoles from junk yards, one for my 08 and then another for my 05 from a local junk yard from '04's and both also had the 12v outlet and harness. Both times I took the outlet, harness and double lid and threw the console away. Replacing the lid is a two screw operation, replacing the entire console is 4 10mm bolt operation.

And after driving my 04 for many years not having the armrest was very noticeable, and I really missed the top level storage for gum, pen, etc.
'04 Base Frosty, '08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite

ckeltner

Postby ckeltner » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:24 am

I bought these oversized office chair armrest covers and they work perfectly. I wanted something that would both raise the level but I also provide a cushion because it looked as if the double armrest was still made of that uncomfortable hard plastic. I ended up stacking these one on top of the other and the band seems to hold them in place nicely. Not bad for $9.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1

zbyers

Postby zbyers » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:07 am

I do have a double arm rest laying around I can part with if you need it.
Ruby- 03 Salsa, Ray[is]AWD- 04 Salsa AWD, Simon- 03 Silver "Faux by Four"
Raven- 03 Abyss GT, Neptune- 05 AWD, Robyn- 07 Stealth Gray Metallic, Mystic- 09 AWD

GenVibe on Facebook, Everything You Need To Know About Vibes, Great How-To Index

Return to “Interior”