Hatch lift supports

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Thedogscar

Hatch lift supports

Post by Thedogscar »

Hello, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I didn't find anything.
Trying to order rear hatch lift supports online as I have none in stock near me.
Confused as to whether they are sold in pairs or as singly.
Are there left and right designations or are they universal?

2004 2wd base model
ehoff121

Re: Hatch lift supports

Post by ehoff121 »

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40549&p=512780&hil ... ut#p512780

Might have to get a set of these myself- my OEM's seem to not work as well in the cold...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Thedogscar

Post by Thedogscar »

Thanks ehoff121 What threw me was Rock Auto had that exact one for 14.73 and Car Quest/Advance was 33.99.
I just assumed that had to be for 2 but could find no notation of that on Advance site. Even live chatted with them and was told that was for one.
Yikes that much of a price difference? I guess they are the same and you just flip one one way and the other the opposite ( regarding the left/right issue.)
I guess Rock Auto here I come.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Yes, they're the same for either side. Those heads that snap onto the stud should just swivel around a bit to go on the other side. They are also sold individually. Price difference will most likely come from the shear volume RockAuto does compared to your local parts store. Also less overhead with rockautos business model. Anyhow, those linked should work for you.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I might have to buy these as well. It is funny that the second gen struts are cheaper than the first gen on rockauto.com. In the meantime, I tried spraying WD-40 on the shaft to lubricate it as it enters the cylinder and had some success. My hatch struts are allowing the gate to raise higher. Ok, ok....stay focused people. :o
Since I still can hear the gas engaging inside the strut, can I assume that they are still working as designed despite only allowing my gate to open 80% of the way? Once the WD-40 was sprayed, it opens all the way, albeit very slowly.
Thedogscar

Post by Thedogscar »

Thanks to all for your replies and insights. My problem is the hatch not staying up.
Will order from RockAuto and hope they come quickly so the missus doesn't ream me out too bad. She already banged her head once. Yikes!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Perhaps the cold weather is a factor. (I refrained from making a politically incorrect comparison.)
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Thedogscar

Post by Thedogscar »

Hey guys, me again. I received my supports and they've got me kinda stumped. The sockets aren't lined up properly to fit on the balls and I can't figure out a way to move them.
Everything seems to be in a fixed position and can't be rotated. I thought maybe if the piston was pushed in then maybe it would turn also but just putting some muscle on that doesn't move it either. I 'm leery of getting wrenches and a vise involved for fear of damaging something. What am I missing here? Anybody have any ideas?
I'm not afraid of looking dumb if I'm overlooking something simple.
Thedogscar

Post by Thedogscar »

As Rosanne Rosannadana used to say, "Never mind." My face is slightly red right now. Literally two minutes after I posted I picked one up in my hand and I guess out of frustration put a little more juice into it and found that the socket on the large end is threaded and rotates out to any position. HAHA