How To: Remove The Front End / Fascia

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
ragingfish

How To: Remove The Front End / Fascia

Post by ragingfish »

I know, it took WAY too long to get these instructions up...sorry for the delay guys...enjoy!TOPIC: Removing The Front End / FasciaDIFFICULTY LEVEL: (1 hammer = easy - 5 hammers = pro)TIME REQUIRED: 5-20 minutesTOOLS REQUIRED: phillips screwdriver, slotted screwdriver, 10mm socket, driver, and minimum 3" extension, 2 small screwdrivers (eyeglass grade optimal)=================================================STEP 1: UPPER FASICA* A total of two(2) screws and three (3) retainer clips are removed in this step. * At opposite ends of the grilles, there are two phillips screws embedded within rubber bumpers. Remove both of these. They are indicated by green circles in the picture below. * The blue circles indicate where there are retainer clips. To remove these, use a flat / slotted screwdriver to push the outer ring away from the clips. Then push upward on the center rivet. It's easiest to access these by sticking the screwdriver through the front of the grill. The center clip is only acessible from inside the engine bay.STEP 2: WHEEL WELLS* A total of two (2) bolts are removed in this step.* In each front wheel well, use a small screwdriver to pry the well liner away from the front end. There is a small cutout in the liner that happens to fall directly below the bolt you need to remove. This picture shows the location of the notch.You will see a single 10mm bolt, vertically installed, directly behind the liner. Remove the one bolt from each of the front wheel wells. with your 10mm socket (you will find it much easier if you use a minimum 3" extension). STEP 3: DETACHING THE FASCIA FROM THE SPLASH GUARDS* A total of four (4) bolts and two (2) retainer clips are removed in this step.* Using your 10mm socket (no extension), remove the four (4) perimeter bolts on the underside of the lower fascia.* DO NOT remove any other bolts except for those 4. No other ones hold the fascia and the splash shields together.* One bolt is located directly next to each wheel well, and two more, one each located below and just to the side of the lower grilles.STEP 4: REMOVE AND DISCONNECT THE FOG LAMPS* Before we remove the final two clips that hold the fascia on, remove and set aside the fog lamp bulbs.* Slide under the front end of the car.* Pull down the splash shields you just unbolted.* Reach up and twist the fog lamp bulb approximately 90° to unlatch it from the housing. I think it goes counterclockwise (from behind) but I can't swear to it.* When the bulb comes free of the assembly, unclip it from the connector and wiring.* Set both bulbs aside.STEP 5: DETACHING THE FASCIA FROM THE IMPACT BAR* A total of two (2) retainer clips are removed in this step.* Slide under the front end of the car.* Look up at the impact bar. You will see 2 tabs, like the one below, holding the front end to the impact bar.* Using two small screwdrivers, take the smaller one and try to "dig" behind the center of the retainer clip. When you successfully get underneath, use a sturdier and larger (but still small) screwdriver to help pull the center of the clip out: * When the center of the retainer clip is far enough out, pull the entire clip out to release the tab from the bar.* Repeat for the other tab.STEP 6: DETACHING THE FASCIA FROM THE CAR* All your screws and retainer clips are now removed from the fasica. The last step is to remove the entire assembly.* Starting on one side of the car, by a wheel well, gently pull the fascia away from the wheel to unsnap it from the fascia support.* Repeat on the opposite side.* Pull the entire fascia away from the car.* If necessary, gently rock the styrofoam impact absorber until it comes free of the impact bar. WITH Foam Impact Absorber: WITHOUT Foam Impact Absorber:STEP 7: REINSTALLING THE FRONT END* When you're finished and ready to reinstall the front end, follow these steps.* Reinstall the foam impact absorber if you removed it. It simply slides into the holes on the impact bar. It is not secured (as it eventually will be held in place by the front end).* Slide the front fasica assembly back into place. Be sure to line it up carefully.* On each side, gently press the fascia into the bumper supports (by each wheel well) until you feel it snap into place. Don't reinstall the well bolts yet.* Before you reinstall any screws or clips, get under the front end. Look up to the impact bar, and ensure that both plastic tabs are not bent upward and caught between the front end and the bar. Ensure they are both straight out. Reinstall the two retainer clips.* Reinstall the fog lamps. First, attach the wire harness to the bulb. Be sure to push them firmly together until you hear it snap in place. Reinstall the bulb, inserting it approximately rotated 90°. Twist clockwise (from behind) until you feel the entire assembly lock into position. * Reinstall the splash shields. Be sure the shield slips into the proper slot on the black plastic clips on the bumper. Slowly rebolt the liner one at a time, ensuring the bolt passes through the bumper, then the shield, and finally secures itself at the rear of the clip.Here is a closeup on one of the 4 clips that join the bumpers and splash shields. You can see there are two "slots" on each clip. The lower smaller slot snaps on to the bumper assembly. The upper longer slot is where the splash shields slide in. When you drive the screw through the clip, it goes through the hole in the bumper, through the hole int he splash shield, and into the threads on the other side, joining htem all together securely. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.How the bolt goes through the clip:Here you can see how the clip mounts on the bumper:As you drive the 4 bolts into the underside of the bumper, if you notice gaps in your wheel wells, such as those below, or bowing of the shields, recheck to make sure your bolts are passing through the holes in the splash shields and not to the side, forcing the bumper and shield apart.A wrongly installed bolt:* Reinstall the bolts in the wheel wells. Be sure to snap the wheel well liner back into place when the bolt is reinstalled.* Install the 3 retainer clips by the grilles first. Simply pop the entire clip into the hole, then push the center down to secure it.* Reinstall the final two phillips screws in the engine area (the ones countersunk in
the rubber bumpers). HAND TIGHTEN these bolts only. The slots on the heads strip easily (learned that one the hard way).* You're done!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: How To: Remove The Front End / Fascia (ragingfish)

Post by NSimkins »

Thanks alot, Mike, for putting this together. Yet another awesome How-To!
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Now the question is -- what do I tackle next???
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by NSimkins »

Well I did this tonight and I must say it was quite easy and fast, especially thanks to your write-up! Main purpose was to change out the CAI filter for a new one. This made is totally 100% easy plus I was able to add some padding where the CAI was hitting the body slightly.Pics! http://www.nicksimkins.com/gal...bum01Thanks again!
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

Does anyone know if these pictures are still accessible somehow?
2003 Pontiac Vibe. AWD, Shadow, Monotone. Moons & Tunes. 16" Konig Zero-In wheels. (My Garage)
Baltovibe

Re: How To: Remove The Front End / Fascia (Vaggeto)

Post by Baltovibe »

Quote, originally posted by Vaggeto »Does anyone know if these pictures are still accessible somehow?Unfortunately, many of the posts by Ragingfish with pictures have disappeared when his website disbanded. He didn't attach the pics to this forum.Hopefully someone had saved these missing-pic threads, and can resupply the pics, especially when Genvibe changes forum software.
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?