How To: Remove The Main Dashboard

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
ragingfish

How To: Remove The Main Dashboard

Post by ragingfish »

The next chapter in Ragingfish's disassembly adventures is here!The snow is gone, and warmer temperatures have arrived.Tomorrow's project:The long anticipated dashboard removal!Stay tuned for details...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
russ257

Re: How To: Remove The Main Dashboard (ragingfish)

Post by russ257 »

what for?
'03 VIBE AWDPioneer AVIC-N1MOMO 6.5" componets in frontMOMO 6.5" speakers in rearJL e6450 six channel ampJL 12" w3 subAlpine 120W amp powering the sub
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

ragingfish

Re: How To: Remove The Main Dashboard (joatmon)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by russ257 »what for?Got craploads of wires that need to be managed...especially from my remote starter install this past winter.Quote, originally posted by joatmon »http://home.comcast.net/~vibeowner/buzz.htmYep. I know. I'll be using that as a guide, and writing a more detailed step-by-step.Thanks though.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
drummerdude

Post by drummerdude »

where is the info/instructions/pics? c-mon dude man i need some wire clean up myself... too much audio junk in my car
2006 MazdaSpeed6 GT which is for sale if anyone is interested...
ragingfish

Re: How To: Remove The Main Dashboard (drummerdude)

Post by ragingfish »

Sorry for the delays...For those who haven't heard, it appears my web host went under...and took all my data with them......I've spent about 3-4 weeks trying to contact them to get it back (they've yet to respond).I just got my new server going, so I'll get this how to up this week I promise!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

I'm gonna try to get this done today!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Ok, I'm half done.Pictures are available at: http://www.ragingfish.com/photos/upperdashI just need to do the writeup now, I'll try to get to that later this week...A few pictures are out of order, but you get the idea.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Hey Mike, while you're doing that writeup, you might want to put a suggestion in really large bright lettering that people should disconnect the negative of their battery and pump the brakes a few times to discharge any power left in the system -before- you unplug the airbags. I think this has been covered before, tho.. Airbag systems are notoriously sensitive. I saw a report that one had gone off in a BMW that someone was installing a radio in, and that was NOWHERE near the airbag stuff!Just a word of warning. You're really thourough with those pics tho!
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ragingfish

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by ragingfish »

And without further delay, I present the long awaited instructions:TOPIC: Removing The Upper DashboardDIFFICULTY LEVEL: (1 hammer = easy - 5 hammers = pro)TIME REQUIRED: 1-2 hours first time, 20-30 minutes thereafterTOOLS REQUIRED: Phillips screwdriver, 10mm and 13mm sockets and driver, covered container for screws=================================================CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!!!This install guide was compiled with the assistance of VibeOwner's walkthrough (http://home.comcast.net/~vibeowner/buzz.htm). He was the original adventurer to undertake this task, and I in no way intend to replace his guide. I simply compiled this as a slightly more photographic, and a tad more detailed, install guide. I want to be sure Vibe Owner gets the credit he deserves for this project! GENERAL INSTALLATION NOTES* Use a container with a lid to keep all the screws, retainers, and miscellaneous clips you remove together, and from getting lost. Also consider using tape and taping screws to the parts they were removed from to keep them from getting confused.* Be ready to dedicate a good day to the first removal. Once you've done it once, future removals will be easier because you will know exactly what to do.STEP 1: DISABLE SIR SYSTEM* YOU MUST DISABLE THE AIRBAGS BEFORE PRECEDING. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN UNINTENTIONAL DEPLOYMENT, WHICH CAN LEAD TO SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY AND MAJOR DAMAGE AND/OR REPAIR COSTS.* Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.* Turn the ignition switch to the off position.* Remove the fuse block cover. Locate and remove the AM2 fuse from the under-dash fuse block. * Disconnect the negative battery cable. Secure it so it can't accidentally come in contact with the negative battery terminal. I put a workglove over the cable.* WAIT 2 MINUTES. The SIR sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) retains an energy reserve to provide deployment power for the airbags for up to 2 minutes after disconnecting vehicle power. Wait 2 minutes or more as an added security measure before proceeding to the next step.* Pump the brake pedal a few times to discharge any power that may remain in the system.* Remove the lower steering column trim cover. You can do this by removing the two screws behind the wheel, as well as a third screw by the wheel adjustment lever. * Gently tug at the lower trim until it unsnaps. Set the cover aside.* Disconnect the yellow harness to disable the driver airbag. * Remove the glovebox. Open the box, and remove the phillips head screw on the right side holding the opener to the box. Lift gently until the box unsnaps from the hinges. Maneuver the box out of the opening. Allow the black tension rod to hang freely. Set the box aside.* Look up into the dash and find the passenger airbag harness. * Disconnect the passenger airbag harness.* Using a 13mm ratchet, unbolt the passenger airbag module from the support bar. STEP 2: REMOVE THE RADIO * Using a small screwdriver, or other flat tool, gently pull the trim plate around forward to release it.* Grab the bottom of the trim and pull outward. It should come free, leaving it connected only by two clips on the top. Tilt the trim upward to release the two clips and pull it free of the dash.* Once you have freed the trim of the dash, disconnect all wire harnesses on the back. * Also remove the black recirculate mode deactivator cable by prying back on the white tabs holding it in until the cable comes free.* Set the trim aside.* Using a 10mm ratched, remove the 4 bolts holding the radio. * Pull the radio outward. Remove the two harnesses, as well as the antenna wire. In the case of an aftermarket radio, disconnect all wires. Set aside the radio. STEP 3: REMOVE THE GAUGE CLUSTER TRIM * Release the height adjustment lever for the steering wheel so the wheel moves freely up and down.* Push the wheel down as far as it will go. Lock it in place if you'd like, though not necessary.* Using the pry tool from the radio removal, gently pull at the bottom of the trim until it starts to come free. Continue pulling until the entire circular trim has been removed. The button for the trip odometer WILL NOT fall out, but you can remove it if you wish. Just give it a tug and it will come free. Set the trim pieces, and the button if you removed it, aside. * Look up above the now exposed gauges, and disconnect the wire leading to the Twilight Sentinel sensor. STEP 4: REMOVE THE MIRROR CONTROL AND GAUGE BRIGHTNESS PANEL *Again, using the pry tool, work around the perimeter of the trim piece holding the mirror controls and left-most vent. This, from my experiences, was the most stubborn trim piece of all, and took a very good yank to break free. * When it comes free, disconnect the harnesses for mirror adjustments and gauge brightness.* Set the trim aside. STEP 5: REMOVE THE DASHBOARD SCREWS * Remove Screw #1, located at the lower right corner of the opening behind the now removed mirror control / gauge brightness trim panel.* Remove Screw #2, located right at the top of the gauges.* Remove Screws #3 and #4, located at the lower left and right corners, respectively, of the opening behind the now removed radio trim. STEP 6: REMOVE THE A-PILLAR TRIM * Gently pry at the A-pillar mouldings until they unsnap from the body of the car. Gently lift the A-pillar out of the hole in the dash. Set aside. STEP 7: REMOVE THE UPPER DASHBOARD * Starting on the passenger side, gently lift up on the upper dash to release the snaps holding it in place. Continue down the board, release snaps until you get to the opposite side. * If you encounter resistance, STOP. DO NOT force the dash. Ensure you removed all screws, and no wires or harnesses are
tangled and keeping the dash from lifting. * Once you release all the snaps, lift to clear the snaps from the lower dash, and begin pulling forward. This will release the snaps from under the windshield. * Make sure the steering wheel is set to the lowest height before continuing.* Once the dash is freed of all retainers, lift it from the passenger end (the airbag will still be attached to the dash, making it heavier at the passenger end), and maneuver it up, over the steering wheel, and then out through the passenger door.* The upper dash is now removed! Some shots from inside the dash. STEP 8: PREVENT RATTLES BEFORE THEY DEVELOP Many have commented on rattles within the dash, located directly in front of the driver. While I have never experienced these rattles, VibeOwner was kind enough to point out that he traced the rattle back to the Cruise Control module. That module is visible in this picture as the silver box: I removed this box, and placed a piece of Armaflex directly over the hole the box screwed into. I then rescrewed the box down over the armaflex, so at no point did the metal of the box bracket contact the metal of the dash. This screw WILL NOT tighten beyond a certain point and will continue to twist freely. I sense this may be a reason rattles eventually develop. Anyway, don't worry, it's a design flaw.* Another potential source of squeaks is the passenger side air vents. As you can see in this picture, the vents are simply screwed onto each other, making it possible they can rub back and forth, yielding a squeak. I simply unscrewed the upper vent, placed armaflex at any point the two tubes contact each other, and rescrewed it down.STEP 9: REINSTALLING THE DASHBOARD* Carefully maneuver the dashboard back into the car, and over the steering wheel. Use care NOT to bang the passenger airbag module or subject it to any significant trauma. This could damage the unit, causing it to not deploy in a collision, or even have it deploy when it receives power again.* With the front end of the dashboard lifted up to clear the lower dashboard, slide the front end snaps under the windshield. When they have succesfully reseated, lower the dash and press downward to resnap the dashboard into place. Don't overtighten.* Replace the two screws from both corners of the radio area. Don't overtighten.* Replace the screw above the gauge cluster. Be sure that the screw goes into the gauges, as that screw holds them in position. Don't overtighten.* Replace the screw from the opening where the mirror controls / gauge brightness dial were. Don't overtighten.* Reattach the twighlight sentinel sensor to the harness located directly above the gauges.* Reattach the wire harnesses for the mirror controls and gauge brightness dial. Resnap the trim panel into place. Be sure to press all four sides and ensure they are properly seated.* While the steering wheel is still in it's lowest position, replace the gauge cluster trim panel. If you removed the trip odometer button, push it into the hole it was removed from until it snaps into place. Then begin to resnap the cluster trim into place starting at the top. Before you snap in the bottom, use your pinky to make sure the trip odometer button is being threaded properly through the hole in the trim. Snap all sides of the trim into place.* Reconnect all wires to your radio. Using a 10mm socket and driver, rescure the radio on all four corners. Ensure they are tight, but as always, don't overtighten.* Resnap, in the following order, the harnesses to the radio trimplate: black recirculate mode deactivation cable, A/C button harness, hazard button harness, rear defroster harness, passenger seatbelt light harness. When you verify all harnesses are properly secured, hook the top tabs onto the two holes on the top of the dash by tilting the bottom upward. When the tabs lock on, press all four sides of the trim into place. Be sure it all snaps back in properly. * Using your 13mm socket and driver, resecure the passenger airbag bolt through the eye above the glovebox. If you have a torque wrench available, tighten the bolt to 15 ft-lb (20 N-m). If not, tighten it as much as you can.* Reconnect the passenger airbag wire harness. Be sure to push it on until it locks securely together.* Remaneuver the glovebox wings behind the dash, and then push downward until the glovebox locks in place on it's hinge. Rescure the tension rod to the box using the screw removed at the start.* Reconnect the steering wheel airbag harness. Press it securely into place until it locks.* Replace the lower steering wheel trim panel. Maneuver it around the height adjustment lever, and snap it into place until there are no gaps visible. Replace the three screws: one by the adjustment lever, two behind the wheel itself.STEP 10: ENABLE THE SIR SYSTEM*NOTE: YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE STEPS IN ORDER TO AVOID ANY MALFUNCTIONS OR ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENTS OF THE SIR SYSTEM.* Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.* Reinstall the AM2 fuse. Replace the fuse block cover.* USE CAUTION while reaching in and turn the ignition switch to the ON position (NOT START). * The AIR BAG indicator will flash and then turn off.* If the AIR BAG indiciator does not light, turn the key to off, wait 2 minutes, and turn the key again to ON (NOT START). You should see the indicator flash and go out. * At this point, you're all set! Congratulations, you just disassembled and reassembled the upper dash!

2009 PONTIAC G8
vibe owner

Post by vibe owner »

Nice photos, good to see refinements on the technique!
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

Very nice review, Ragingfish! I'll be using some of that to fix the recirculating actuator on my Vibe. You should zip that sucker up and put it up on a server somewhere for download. We could collect all the photo guides on the site this way and make a fairly comprehensive, open source service manual for the Vibe.
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson
ldworak

Re: (vibe owner)

Post by ldworak »

Thanks for the pics. I had to remove the dash once on my F150 and its definetly a job, but the pics really help. Since it's winter now, will it hurt anything to just be annoyed by the sound until Spring. If so, what would you expect that I would need to replace?ThanksLen
llebcire

Post by llebcire »

Alright - here's a silly question:I understand removing the fuse for the SRS before disconnecting it, but why is this needed if the battery will be disconnected?Why couldn't I just remove the negative battery cable and wait 3-5 minutes for the back up capacitor to discharge?Is this suggested as an additional safety step or is removing the fuse - then battery - then reconnecting battery - then installing fuse the suggested method from the service manual?Thanks in advance!-Eric
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

That was the procedure per factory service manual instructions.

2009 PONTIAC G8
llebcire

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by llebcire »

Thanks for the response!I did it my way without any problems but if that's the factory's suggestion then I should have gone that route.Based on your pictures and tutorial, I was able to get the top pad out in 35 minutes! Toughest part was getting the front clips inserted on the re-install - Nice job!I noticed that most of the 10mm bolts for various dash supports were loose so I gave them a snug, all of the 13mm main supports were tight, most of the 10mm's for the blower/hvac were loose as well. Also took the time to snug all philips screws for the ductwork, installed foam weatherstripping in various places, and took the guages out for a good cleaning - at this point there's only 2 clips holding the cluster in place.Thanks again for your tutorial and pictures!-Eric
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

sigh.....How the CRAP do I take apart the dash around the shifter and the climate control?!I'm dying here!!!
Kari

Re: How To: Remove The Main Dashboard (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by Kari »

Take out the radio bezel first, then gently pry the climate control and the shifter ring up with a screwdriver. Be careful not to gouge the black dash plastic or the black plastic around the shifter as it's easy to do.ETA The climate control trim and the shifter ring are all one piece so be mindful of that when prying.
GenVibe Global Moderator
A Psycho Martyr

Found my problem You gotta pull the middle climate control knob off and there's a screw under it....DOH!!!!!!
Kari

Post by Kari »

Ooops, forgot about the screw - sorry! Mine hasn't been disassembled since 2004.
GenVibe Global Moderator
A Psycho Martyr

Re: How To: Remove The Main Dashboard (Kari)

lol...it's all good. I'll be riding with no dash for about a week. I don't wanna rush anything. Still got my h/u in tho. I'd die w/o music. The cig lighter was prob the worst part of it all.lol
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

Is it me, or is Ragingfish's pictures actually gone/missing?
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
star_deceiver

Re: How To: Remove The Main Dashboard (Baltovibe)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by Baltovibe »Is it me, or is Ragingfish's pictures actually gone/missing?Not working for me either... that link is dead as well.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

Hey it would be great if someone could help me out. I'm trying to remove the center section of the dashboard under the radio. I got the piece around the radio off easy. And the panel around the ac knobs and the cig lighter and 115v switch and plug is all one piece am I understanding that right? The top above the ac clips off easy for me but the rest is on there pretty tight and I don't want to pull it the wrong way and break anything
joatmon

Re: (silverbullet)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by silverbullet »Hey it would be great if someone could help me out. I'm trying to remove the center section of the dashboard under the radio. I got the piece around the radio off easy. And the panel around the ac knobs and the cig lighter and 115v switch and plug is all one piece am I understanding that right? The top above the ac clips off easy for me but the rest is on there pretty tight and I don't want to pull it the wrong way and break anythingthat thin piece of trim that goes around the shifter does seem fragile. you have to pull the center knob, take out the one screw and then just gently pry/work the trim piece loose. I had mine off at one point, I don't remember what I did, but in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5923 (more bad pic links ) I seem to have said "I wiggled the lower end of the trim piece to free up what I could easily, but the top end was being a bit stubborn, and I ended up pulling the trim piece around the radio and actually had to pry a little bit to get it loose. Once the bottom part is free, the top part can be persuaded to slide out to the rear" But I don't remember it, just finding a forum artifact from 2003
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

ok got it out thanks. the trick was to start around the shifter first and it worked.
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

Baltovibe wrote:Is it me, or is Ragingfish's pictures actually gone/missing?
After my recirc motor started acting up, I wanted to view the pictures in this thread. I found the pictures here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20090216103 ... ad?id=9977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?