cruise control

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
sassi_vibe03

cruise control

Post by sassi_vibe03 »

Just was wondering, for those of us that didn't get the power package that does include a cruise control (yes it sucks) I was wanting info and tips on how to do a cruise control install. I found one from a company called Rostra. They have two kinds just need to know which one is best for the Vibe. It should work since sometimes when the sun hits my instrument panel just right there is a icon that says cruise on it.
Mavrik

Re: cruise control (sassi_vibe03)

Post by Mavrik »

You can have cruise installed, I am having a company called MASS electronics install mine. They warranty their work and everything. I find no cruise sucks as well, a must have before the MI meet this summer lol. I don't know about there being two kinds but you'll have to mount it on the steeringwheel like the Vibes have with cruise.MASS knows exactly what they are doing because GM uses them to do all their electrical work like radio, speaker repairs. They install our remote starters and aftermarket security systems.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
sidewinder

Re: cruise control (Mavrik)

Post by sidewinder »

What was the brand of cruise control they install ? If you have had it installed do you have any pics of the CC control lever and where it is mounted. I would like to install my own aftermarket CC but not sure which one is the best and which one looks like the original.Thanks in advance.
2004 Neptune Base vibe, 5spd, GM seat covers, GM bra, rear storage area carpet, Silverstar headlights, foglights and parklights.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I had a thirdparty install an after market cruise on mine they put the "stick" On the steering colum on the lower left side. It does Not turn with the wheel like the stock "stick" does.
cdFxer

Post by cdFxer »

That darn turn with the cruise 'wand' got me good last week. I was turning a corner and somehow managed to hit my knee on the cruise. It resumed! Tried to goto warp speed in a parking lot!!!
nodwink

Post by nodwink »

I purchased a 2005 Vibe, base model 2 weeks ago. Totally lovin it!! I traded in a 2001 xterra, which is just a gas hog!! Anyway, I too am missing the cruise control, and was told that it could be done after market, and went to have it done today, only to be told that at this time, it can not be done. The 2005 model does not have a throttle cable, so the speed is controled by the computer, and can not be bypassed. They did, however, say that there are several GM cars like this, and they have come out w/ kits that take care of this, and that I should keep checking every 2-4 weeks, becasue there should be a kit for the 2005 vibe w/in 60 days or so. Does this sound right to anyone here?
GMJAP

Re: (nodwink)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by nodwink »I purchased a 2005 Vibe, base model 2 weeks ago. Totally lovin it!! I traded in a 2001 xterra, which is just a gas hog!! Anyway, I too am missing the cruise control, and was told that it could be done after market, and went to have it done today, only to be told that at this time, it can not be done. The 2005 model does not have a throttle cable, so the speed is controled by the computer, and can not be bypassed. They did, however, say that there are several GM cars like this, and they have come out w/ kits that take care of this, and that I should keep checking every 2-4 weeks, becasue there should be a kit for the 2005 vibe w/in 60 days or so. Does this sound right to anyone here?Yes, all but the earliest 2005's have an electronic throttle which is new for the model year.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
jeffgtx

Post by jeffgtx »

wouldnt it be possible to buy teh GM stalk and hook it up yourself?
JeffGTX's Shades Of Gray Pontiac Armada:Cool: 2008 Solstice GXP ConvertibleSly: 2009 Solstice GXP CoupeMaverick: 2009 G8 GXP
zionzr2

Re: cruise control (jeffgtx)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by jeffgtx »wouldnt it be possible to buy teh GM stalk and hook it up yourself?the dealer did not want my money to perform this...Said it was not able to be done....So I went somewhere that could put and aftermarket one in....Been very happy with it..... (It was pricy, but worth every cent.)
yxj002

Re: cruise control (zionzr2)

Post by yxj002 »

How much is it get CC installed?
Summer

Post by Summer »

I have the cc in my '03 GT, but seldom use it--mainly for the reason cdfxer mentioned! The reason I like the 6-speed is feeling in CONTROL! (Yep, I have MAJOR control issues!)
pinemeadowfarm

Re: cruise control (zionzr2)

Post by pinemeadowfarm »

I just got a OEM CC stalk and plan to install it this weekend. Does anyone have experience or advice regarding the 05 and drive by wire CC?
05 Base, FrostyAdditions/Mods:OEM CC,
binary

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by sassi_vibe03 »Just was wondering, for those of us that didn't get the power package that does include a cruise control (yes it sucks) I was wanting info and tips on how to do a cruise control install. I found one from a company called Rostra. They have two kinds just need to know which one is best for the Vibe. It should work since sometimes when the sun hits my instrument panel just right there is a icon that says cruise on it. If you have an '05 with ETC (electronic throttle control) you can have the OEM one installed. I think parts and labor are actually cheaper than ordering it installed. Really all that is needed is the stalk, the wires are there, IIRC. And the ECU just takes over sending the signal to the throttle body.I could be way off - but someone, somewhere, with an '05 had it done a while back. I'm just too lazy to search
pinemeadowfarm

Re: cruise control (binary)

Post by pinemeadowfarm »

A few days later.....Worked out smooth!I got all the info I needed from previouse posts.. all I really had to do was pay attention to removal and installation of the Air bag in the steering wheel, the stalk plugged right in and the whole job only took 20 min. (not counting the test drive )So to confirm if you have an 05 Vibe Base with the drive by wire throttle you can add CC by just installing the stalk and under wheel shell!I'm thinking the heated seats will be my next Mod!
binary

Re: cruise control (pinemeadowfarm)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by pinemeadowfarm »A few days later.....Worked out smooth!I got all the info I needed from previouse posts.. all I really had to do was pay attention to removal and installation of the Air bag in the steering wheel, the stalk plugged right in and the whole job only took 20 min. (not counting the test drive )So to confirm if you have an 05 Vibe Base with the drive by wire throttle you can add CC by just installing the stalk and under wheel shell!I'm thinking the heated seats will be my next Mod!Suh weet.
pinemeadowfarm

Re: cruise control (binary)

Post by pinemeadowfarm »

BTW the stalk cost $15 on eBay with shipping!
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Here is where you can get cruise for the 05-06 vibe. http://www.mnrelectronics.com/roscruiscon.html Its not listed . Call and ask for Michael. $150.