Planning on DIY front brakes rotors...wheres the bleed screw?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
pointbob

Planning on DIY front brakes rotors...wheres the bleed screw?

Post by pointbob »

Hey all

I'm planning on doing my 2006 vibe's front brakes for the first time. I've watched a few vids and I believe I can do it! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNd78jJ-f4

It seems pretty straightforward but a few people have said:

"Suggest opening up the bleeder screw on the caliper and allow the old fluid to push out when retracting the caliper piston instead of going back up the lines into the brake system."

how do you open bleeder screw and where is it located? how do catch the old fluid if it spills out? thx
Transylvania

Re: Planning on DIY front brakes rotors...wheres the bleed screw?

Post by Transylvania »

Yes, you can do it. Very straight forward and easy. Typically, I don't bleed the brakes after a brake job, only push back the caliper as shown in the video you posted.

Make sure you remove, clean and lubricate the slider pins as well.

Are you planning to replace the rotors as well or only the brake pads? Best to replace both together.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Transylvania wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:07 pm Yes, you can do it. Very straight forward and easy. Typically, I don't bleed the brakes after a brake job, only push back the caliper as shown in the video you posted.

Make sure you remove, clean and lubricate the slider pins as well.

Are you planning to replace the rotors as well or only the brake pads? Best to replace both together.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I agree with this. If you open the bleeder screw, you have to bleed the brakes. If you just push the piston back in, you don't open the system, therefore, you won't need a second set of hands to help bleed the brakes.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I agree, no need usually, but watch the fluid level in the master cylinder to be sure you don't overflow it. Brake fluid is bad on paint.

If the fluid is old and darker than honey, it should probably be replaced. That's a big bleeding job and best done with two people, one of whom should know what he or she is doing.

The guy who taught me to work on brakes gave this bit of advice: When you're starting out, get someone to check your work. If you mess up on engine work, the car won't start. If you mess up on brakes, the car won't stop.