How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (Graphics Intensive)

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
ragingfish

How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (Graphics Intensive)

Post by ragingfish »

In this episode of How To Massacre Your Vibe, we'll remove the Front Floor Console found underneath your shifter.This particular thread will focus on the 4-speed Automatic Transmission.TOOLS NEEDED:* Phillips screwdriver* Small flat screwdriverSTEP 1: REMOVE RADIO TRIM* To remove the silver trim surrounding the radio, first, pull outward on the trim from the bottom, by sticking your hand up and under the lower side, above the climate controls. * Once the bottom comes loose, pull out and up (Figure 1) There are "hooks" on the top of the trim that hold it in place. Maneuver the trim loose and pull it free of the dash.Figure 1: * Identify your connections. (Figure 2)Figure 2: * Unplug all harnesses from the trim piece. * Remove the defrost mode deactivator cable by gently prying back the tabs that hold it in place.* Set the trim aside.Notes:*The wire marked "YOUR HARNESS WILL NOT HAVE THIS EXTRA WIRE" is where I tapped into power for my FM amplifier. Disregard that wire.*The Defrost mode deactivator cable causes the recirculate button to pop out and disable when turning the climate control knob to defrost/defog mode. This cable carries no electrical current.STEP 2: REMOVE CLIMATE CONTROLS AND SHIFTER TRIM AND ASSOCIATED HARNESSES* Engage the parking brake if it isn't already engaged. Turn the key to RUN. DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Apply the brake and shift to L.* Pull the center knob of the climate controls off (Fan Speed knob). Use your phillips screwdriver to remove the screw there. (Figure 3)Figure 3: * With the car still in RUN, shift to 2 or D.* Use a flat blade screwdriver to gently pop up the trim surrounding the shifter. (Figure 4) When enough is pulled up, remove the remainder of the trim by hand to avoid damaging it with the screwdriver tip. Figure 4: * Once this is up, you will quickly learn the climate control trim, the 12V outlet / household outlet trim, and shifter trim are all interconnected. They don't get removed separately. * When you have the entire trim piece out, maneuver it carefully over the shifter so you can turn it over. Shift to P, and turn the key to OFF>* Unplug both harnesses from the 12V outlet (Figure 5). You have to remove the power harness (translucent yellow) before you can remove the light harness (gray). It just doesn't work the other way around. The power harness just pulls off, the light harness must be unclipped.Figure 5: * The next task is to unplug the household outlet and switch. While not mandatory, it allows you to move the entire trim piece out of your way. I recommend doing it. * If you look carefully at the top and bottom of the "box" built around these harnesses, you'll see 3 small tabs on the top, and 2 larger tabs on the bottom side. You need to push these inward with your screwdriver to allow the entire unit to separate. (Figure 6)Figure 6: * After you push the majority of the tabs through, the panel should pop out. If not, simply use the flathead screwdriver to wedge it out. The face of the panel, where the button and outlet are located, will come FORWARD, out of the panel. (Figure 7)Figure 7 * Unplug both harnesses.* Let's recap what each of the four harnesses you now have go to. (Figure 8)Figure 8: * Set aside the master trim piece, and the household outlet switch/outlet panel.STEP 3: REMOVE FRONT FLOOR CONSOLE* Locate and remove the four phillips screws you just uncovered. (Figure 9). Figure 9: * Remove the front floor storage bin by opening it, then pulling outward, and finally upward, to free it from it's hinge. Set aside.* Locate the fifth screw hidden underneath the console. (Figure 10) Figure 10: * Engage parking brake if it isn't already engaged.* Turn the key to RUN. DO NOT START THE ENGINE.* Shift into 2 or D.* Remove the entire plastic trim by grasping the edges of the plastic, deep in the footwell, and pulling up and out to free it from it's holders. Maneuver it up and over the shifter. (Figure 11) Figure 11: * Set trim aside. Shift to park. Turn key to OFF.You now have removed the front floor console!To reinstall, simply reverse these steps.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
NovaResource

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (ragingfish)

Post by NovaResource »

Great job!
ragingfish

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (NovaResource)

Post by ragingfish »

Thanks! I love how the shifter just seems to "float" out there when you remove all the plastic around it...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
pmh013

Post by pmh013 »

I just gotta ask... tell me you were actually accessing something when you did this, or was it just for educational purposes? Good job, anyway!
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
joatmon

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (pmh013)

Post by joatmon »

I think it came as an offshoot of Nifty Console Discovery

EDIT - reposting ragingfish's write up to redo formatting lost in one forum software upgrade or another. Unfortunately, ragingfish, as well as all of his pics, are long gone
In this episode of How To Massacre Your Vibe, we'll remove the Front Floor Console found underneath your shifter.

This particular thread will focus on the 4-speed Automatic Transmission.

TOOLS NEEDED:
* Phillips screwdriver
* Small flat screwdriver

STEP 1: REMOVE RADIO TRIM

* To remove the silver trim surrounding the radio, first, pull outward on the trim from the bottom, by sticking your hand up and under the lower side, above the climate controls.

* Once the bottom comes loose, pull out and up (Figure 1) There are "hooks" on the top of the trim that hold it in place. Maneuver the trim loose and pull it free of the dash.

Figure 1:

* Identify your connections. (Figure 2)

Figure 2:

* Unplug all harnesses from the trim piece.

* Remove the defrost mode deactivator cable by gently prying back the tabs that hold it in place.

* Set the trim aside.

Notes:
*The wire marked "YOUR HARNESS WILL NOT HAVE THIS EXTRA WIRE" is where I tapped into power for my FM amplifier. Disregard that wire.

*The Defrost mode deactivator cable causes the recirculate button to pop out and disable when turning the climate control knob to defrost/defog mode. This cable carries no electrical current.

STEP 2: REMOVE CLIMATE CONTROLS AND SHIFTER TRIM AND ASSOCIATED HARNESSES

* Engage the parking brake if it isn't already engaged. Turn the key to RUN. DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Apply the brake and shift to L.

* Pull the center knob of the climate controls off (Fan Speed knob). Use your phillips screwdriver to remove the screw there. (Figure 3)

Figure 3:

* With the car still in RUN, shift to 2 or D.

* Use a flat blade screwdriver to gently pop up the trim surrounding the shifter. (Figure 4) When enough is pulled up, remove the remainder of the trim by hand to avoid damaging it with the screwdriver tip.

Figure 4:

* Once this is up, you will quickly learn the climate control trim, the 12V outlet / household outlet trim, and shifter trim are all interconnected. They don't get removed separately.

* When you have the entire trim piece out, maneuver it carefully over the shifter so you can turn it over. Shift to P, and turn the key to OFF>

* Unplug both harnesses from the 12V outlet (Figure 5). You have to remove the power harness (translucent yellow) before you can remove the light harness (gray). It just doesn't work the other way around. The power harness just pulls off, the light harness must be unclipped.

Figure 5:

* The next task is to unplug the household outlet and switch. While not mandatory, it allows you to move the entire trim piece out of your way. I recommend doing it.

* If you look carefully at the top and bottom of the "box" built around these harnesses, you'll see 3 small tabs on the top, and 2 larger tabs on the bottom side. You need to push these inward with your screwdriver to allow the entire unit to separate. (Figure 6)

Figure 6:

* After you push the majority of the tabs through, the panel should pop out. If not, simply use the flathead screwdriver to wedge it out. The face of the panel, where the button and outlet are located, will come FORWARD, out of the panel. (Figure 7)

Figure 7

* Unplug both harnesses.

* Let's recap what each of the four harnesses you now have go to. (Figure 8)

Figure 8:

* Set aside the master trim piece, and the household outlet switch/outlet panel.

STEP 3: REMOVE FRONT FLOOR CONSOLE

* Locate and remove the four phillips screws you just uncovered. (Figure 9).

Figure 9:

* Remove the front floor storage bin by opening it, then pulling outward, and finally upward, to free it from it's hinge. Set aside.

* Locate the fifth screw hidden underneath the console. (Figure 10)

Figure 10:

* Engage parking brake if it isn't already engaged.

* Turn the key to RUN. DO NOT START THE ENGINE.

* Shift into 2 or D.

* Remove the entire plastic trim by grasping the edges of the plastic, deep in the footwell, and pulling up and out to free it from it's holders. Maneuver it up and over the shifter. (Figure 11)

Figure 11:

* Set trim aside. Shift to park. Turn key to OFF.

You now have removed the front floor console!

To reinstall, simply reverse these steps.
Last edited by joatmon on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragingfish

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (joatmon)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:I think it came as an offshoot of Nifty Console DiscoveryCorrectamundo.I decided that since I discovered I could insert a switch in my "newfound" space in the console, I would run the wires while the console was already out, in anticipation of someday putting the space to use...Plus, I anticipte removing the entire dashboard sometime soon, so this would just be one piece of the puzzle.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Geo

Post by Geo »

Raging, I love you. I'm currently needing to take apart that entire section for getting power to my under-dash lights, and I couldn't have asked for a better "how-to".This deserves a bump anyways Has anyone else noticed that it would be possible to replace the cig-lighter LED bulb with one of a different color?Guess who's gonna see if he can turn the entire center dash console to blue *cackle*Afterall, red and blue are the two sexiest colors that can be had for car interiors :D
BADGER PRIDE
Piper

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (Geo)

Post by Piper »

I agree about blue but red is harder to pull off when you consider the envirorment. A lot of times red just comes out looking like Pink unless you have a very powerful light source. You might want to stick with blue! As for the tear down. Awesome job! it really has given me some ideas for running cable for my Skyfi2!
ZubenElGenubi

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (Piper)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

An oldie, but goodie.I'm refinishing my trim work in the Vibe (will post pics when done) and got stumped at the trim around the shifter. But, with the handy-dandy SEARCH feature and a little hunting, I found this great post by ragingfish. Just another good reason why he's MOTM.Thanks, Mike!
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

might want to use this how to soon...lol...thanks for making it!
yetti96

Post by yetti96 »

Sorry to bring up such and old thread but is it me or do the pictures no work any more? I am working on my fiance's car to replace this bulb and all 3 in that similar size from Discount Autoparts fit if I hold the bulb, but they will not seat into the holder.And 2nd part is self inflicted and looks to be costly. I saw a bulb in the AC controls and ti looked as if it would fit in the shifter light location. I figured it was easier to get to the ac control to pop in a new bulb after the shifter console is all back together. Well, I was wrong and that AC control bulb has a built in base and I broke the bulb. Well not I have 2 issues.I have read on here about the special, expensive based bulbs but cannot find that thread just yet again. I am off to Toyota later today because they supposedly have the bulb cheaper. So sorry for the long post but any info on replacement of either of these bulbs would greatly be appreciated.Thanks so much.
jwangelin

Post by jwangelin »

Anyone save copies of the photos that went with this operation? I would like to change out the bad bulbs on my wifes '06 vibe and I would like to see what I am getting into.Thanks in advance,Jon
KITT222

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (jwangelin)

Post by KITT222 »

If they're the bulbs behind the climate controls, than it is easier than you think. I took mine apart in my school parking lot using just a the Philips and flat screwdriver on my multi-tool. Just one screw, then the rest snaps out.
Chiadog

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmissi

Post by Chiadog »

jwangelin wrote:Anyone save copies of the photos that went with this operation? I would like to change out the bad bulbs on my wifes '06 vibe and I would like to see what I am getting into.Thanks in advance,Jon
BUMP,
Anyone have a link to pictures?
thanks,
chiadog
Chiadog

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmissi

Post by Chiadog »

Got the dash apart! this is the only spot I had trouble with. I didn't realize the two top clips were so large (deep?).
The picture shows the two top clips I had trouble with on the radio surround trim.
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... e5cc53.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrC

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (Graphics Intensive)

Post by MrC »

This thread is useless now because the important pictures are all gone.
joatmon

Re: How To: Remove Front Floor Console, Automatic Transmission (Graphics Intensive)

Post by joatmon »

MrC wrote:This thread is useless now because the important pictures are all gone.
yeah, happens when someone externally posts pictures then loses interest in genvibe and doesn't maintain the pics. ragingfish was perhaps the most how-to prolific member here, but went to a pontiac G6, and we lost touch with him

I went and re-did this taking pictures, thought it best to do it as a new thread. Took four posts because can only upload three pictures per post.
THe new thread is viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45913

If its any consolation, the write up was for the 1st gen vibes (03-08), and I see from another post of yours that you have an 09, so ragingfish's write up wouldn't help you out even if it still had valid pictures