JDM engine and trans change

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
dart67eb

JDM engine and trans change

Post by dart67eb »

I have a 2003 Vibe GT. The trans is shot. It has 201k on it. The car has new struts, CV axles, etc. I was going for a junkyard trans but I found a local JDM engine and trans (6 speed) for $1800. Other than some hood and roof clearcoat paint problems, everything else works. I'll shoot the roof and hood once it's running again. @$100 for a quart of base and clear from TCPGlobal. I started the swap today and post updates. This is my son's car that I bought a few years ago for $1k and all it needed was a clutch. Lately, it developed a vibration @70mph and as it got worse and after changing the easy stuff, I knew it was the trans. First year GT. I might as well save it. I also have a 2006 base Vibe manual that I bought new after touring the NUMMI plant. The 5 speed went after 140k and I swapped in a 6 speed. I've also rebuilt a 1zz on a 2005 Vibe that I bought cheap to flip. Although I don't feel like I'm "Generation Vibe" (I'm 57), I love these cars. I've done a couple of Nissan Altima 2.5 JDM swaps and I've had to swap intake manifolds. I'll post what this takes.
Attachments
The JDM motor.  Right off the bat, the shift lever is different.  I'll see what sensors need to be changed when I swap out the harness.
The JDM motor. Right off the bat, the shift lever is different. I'll see what sensors need to be changed when I swap out the harness.
vibe2.jpg (122.25 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
This is her.  Aside from a couple dings and and clearcoat fade, she's a good car.
This is her. Aside from a couple dings and and clearcoat fade, she's a good car.
Vibe full.jpg (18.22 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
Started pulling the powerplant.  I disconnect the harness from the ECU and pull it out through the firewall.  Makes it easier to see if some sensors don't match up.  The top work is pretty much done.  @ 3hrs work just loafing along and drinking beer. It's 94 degrees amd I ain't as young as I used to be.
Started pulling the powerplant. I disconnect the harness from the ECU and pull it out through the firewall. Makes it easier to see if some sensors don't match up. The top work is pretty much done. @ 3hrs work just loafing along and drinking beer. It's 94 degrees amd I ain't as young as I used to be.
vibe 1.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
dart67eb

Re: JDM engine and trans change

Post by dart67eb »

I'm going to put a clutch in the new powerplant before I install it. It's supposed to have less than 80k km, but I don't know who was driving it and I might as well do it now just to be sure.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice ;) Hope your son appreciates what you're doing for him. What year Vibe and mileage was the donor engine/tranny out of? What climate will this car be driven in (location?)?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
dart67eb

Post by dart67eb »

The engine and trans are Japanese Domestic Market from https://tennesseejdmmotors.com/ They are supposed to have less than 50k on them. This one looks like it came out of some kind of RH drive car. Celica maybe?

The only differences I've seen so far:
The shifter select lever shaft is different and will swap from my old 6 speed.
The knock sensor is different and must be swapped along with the mounting stud.
The rh engine mount bracket has a different part number. Even though it looks like it will work, I swapped it over. I'm also using all of my old mount brackets because it's easier to do it now.
I'm swapping the throttle body because the the one I received looked slightly damaged at the cable quadrant.
A couple of small brackets, etc., due to rh to lh drive differences.
The rest of my old harness hooked right up. FWIW, I disconnect the harness from the ECU and feed it through the firewall and pull it out with the engine. It's much easier to work with this way.
I'm waiting for a few parts before I install it. I've already installed a new clutch am about done with swap-overs. I'm about 6 hrs into this.
dart67eb

Post by dart67eb »

While I'm in there the lower control arms and sway bar bushings look really easy to get to. Might as well do them along with the ball joints. The struts and sway bar links have already been replaced. I really need to learn when to stop. I have no more room on the garage refrigerator for Rock Auto magnets.
dart67eb

Post by dart67eb »

tpollauf wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 am Nice ;) Hope your son appreciates what you're doing for him. What year Vibe and mileage was the donor engine/tranny out of? What climate will this car be driven in (location?)?
Memphis. I bought in in Arkansas. There seem to be a lot of Vibes there. No rust.
dart67eb

Post by dart67eb »

I test drove it yesterday. No codes, no problems.