P0607, P0138

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
joatmon

P0607, P0138

Post by joatmon »

Saw this article at https://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20 ... ibe-owners. I haven't had the problem or assessed the reasonableness of the remedy, but I thought I'd post it up in case it might help someone here someday
Clogged evaporator drain may be problem for Pontiac Vibe owners

The owner of a 2003-10 Pontiac Vibe may come into your store complaining that the check engine light and/or VSC lamp comes on intermittently. With a little detective work you may find trouble code P0607 and/or P0138 logged in the PCM. According to General Motors Co., the problem usually surfaces in high ambient temperatures with the air conditioning system on and is most likely due to water entering the pre-cat O2 sensor's electrical connector. A clogged evaporator drain is the true villain. Drying the connector and clearing the drain should eliminate the trouble.

Begin the fix by removing the small side panel cover just to the right of the accelerator pedal. Now pull the carpeting back to access the O2 sensor connector. Separate the connector halves, dry the terminals with compressed air, fill both connector halves with silicone grease, then reconnect the two halves. To complete this portion of the repair, pull the carpeting back into position and reinstall the side panel cover.

Now turn your attention to the evaporator drain. Start by putting the vehicle on a lift. Locate the drain hose, then use a coat hanger or compressed air to clear the blockage. To complete the fix, lower the vehicle, start the engine, turn the A/C on and make sure condensation flows freely from the drain hose.
northvibe

Re: P0607, P0138

Post by northvibe »

Anyone know where the drain is ? My sisters 2.4l 2010 has the P0138 code and I was going to replace the rear o2 but looking into what else could be causing it. I also know the O2 metal near the nut cracks open, thus allowing water in.
zbyers

Re: P0607, P0138

Post by zbyers »

I believe the evap drain referenced is the drain tube on the blower motor? Those are pretty prone to kinda falling off or getting clogged. Given the location of that drain tube, and the slope of the floor, it would roll over towards the o2 sensor connector under the shifter housing, so this could definitely be a possibility.

another big cause of the CEL illuminating needlessly on the 09+ models is moisture getting into the ABS connectors at the rear wheels...same concept. open them, dry them out, add some dielectric grease and move on.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe