Hatch Mechanism

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info

Hatch Mechanism

Post by 2006 »

I wasn't sure where to post this, however I am wondering if anyone can direct me as to where the the long rod from the key cylinder on the hatch attaches to the latch (assume that's where it goes) and the clip required to secure it. I popped the panel off to remove a broken license plate bolt, and the rod is free at one end. It seems that it may very well fit into a curved slot at the latch....but of course I would need a new clip to secure it.

You can see where the rod attaches to the lock cylinder at the middle left of the pic.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Paul

Re: Hatch Mechanism

Post by 2006 »

Apparently the picture was not successfully attached..... (Failed to move uploaded file). It was 632KB...too large I'm assuming.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There are two rods on the lock, one goes to the overall hatch latch, the other goes to the glass latch
hl1.jpg
hl1.jpg (38.01 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
This pic shows the other end of the lock to hatch latch rod
hl2.jpg
hl2.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Here's another pic, from the drivers side showing the lock rod attachment at the hatch latch
hl3.jpg
hl3.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
I'm not sure what to call or where to get the plastic rod retainer for the hatch latch side. Looks like it might be challenging to work in that space, with the extra complication of the spring. Don't know if it would be easier to unbolt the hatch latch to move it to a more accessible spot, attach the lock rod, and attach the rod to the lock after the latch was reinstalled. I mean, it would easier to work on the latch if it was loose, but then you'd have to deal with getting it back into proper alignment .

Post by 2006 »

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I assumed that is where the end of the rod went due to the length of it....didn't think of the spring though, although it should have been obvious as it sits in a slot and not just a hole. Looks like I need the spring as well. I'll try the dealership, but think my only real option is from a parts car. Thank you again, it is greatly appreciated!!
jolt

Post by jolt »

Do a search for " throttle rod clip ", as one one those may work as a replacement for the plastic clip. Here is one link to check - https://www.dormanproducts.com/c-211-ca ... clips.aspx

These clips are metal and are found on 1960 and "70's cars that hook the throttle linkage to the carburetor.

Also ebay : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds ... =&_fosrp=1

and local auto parts stores too.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

jolt wrote:Do a search for " throttle rod clip ", as one one those may work as a replacement for the plastic clip...and local auto parts stores too.
There are definitely some throttle springs at the parts stores. One of them should work. If not, I'd think the hardware store would have something equivalent that you could use.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I wonder how the rod became detached to begin with. If you're lucky, you might find the retainer and spring bouncing around the inside bottom of the hatch.

I take it you didn't use the key to lock or unlock the hatch much, since it wouldn't have worked. For what its worth, once you get it fixed, it might be a good idea to use the key to unlock the hatch from time to time. The airflow behind Vibes can swirl around a bit, and several people have road grime get into and gunk up the hatch lock cylinder, so exercising it from time to time can help keep that from happening

Post by 2006 »

This is a "new Vibe". I just bought it at the end of October and have been working on it. Got the safety check done on it last week and transferred it to my name....so at least it is "fit". All I need to do is get insurance and plates for it now. It is for daughter #2....who won't be 16 until August 2019, so there is no rush to get it on the road. I got a Vibe in August for daughter #1 and have liked it so much that I figured on getting another one.

There was just a piece of the old clip in the hatch, but the spring was nowhere to be found. Someone had obviously been in there since it broke. It works using the key fob, but obviously not with the key.

I'm sure one or more of those clips available by Dorman would work....thanks for the tip! They are metal as well, so they won't break like the plastic ones used. As for a spring....yeah, there is probably one out there that could be MacGyver'd to work, another great tip!

The spring and clip were not available at the dealership, and of course the whole latch assembly is only available. There are two different ones, and of course mine is the more expensive one at $298.32. I went to a local "pick and pull" and picked up the whole assembly for $17.70. Just have to swap out the old with the new.

Thank you all for your responses and ideas, it is greatly appreciated.
Paul
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to the forum, 2006!
Two Vibes? Now you have two reasons to start a thread in the "Vibe Garage".
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476