Difficult rear strut removal

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
andrewclaus

Difficult rear strut removal

Post by andrewclaus »

No advice needed, just a report on a solved problem. I replaced rear struts yesterday and nearly had to come here for advice but I figured it out. (07 base model).

I got all the nuts loose, but the 14mm bolt head that screws up from below was jammed against the coil spring. I have not done many of these and didn't know how to proceed. I finally realized the spring had shifted along wih its rubber base. Is this common?

I ended up successful with my 2' crowbar, prying the spring a few mm over to make room for a socket wall. That's much easier to say than do, and I have a small forehead cut from the fender skirt .

The new struts are about 50% heavier than the old ones and about 3 cm longer.
vibrologist

Re: Difficult rear strut removal

Post by vibrologist »

The new struts are about 50% heavier than the old ones and about 3 cm longer.
Must be Monroe quick struts.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
jolt

Post by jolt »

Does the car sit any higher than it did before your replaced the strut assemblies? New springs I take it, how much higher does the rear sit now?
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I didn't measure height, but I perceive a slight increase. I haven't driven it yet, but my wife says it handles differently.

I got these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Rear-Complet ... 2749.l2649
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

If the ebay picture is of the actual strut then the spring has 9 windings, one more than the original. The Monroe struts have an extra winding as well and they are taller than the original.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476