Bypass catalytic converter

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
crystal79

Bypass catalytic converter

Post by crystal79 »

Muffler shop wanted $600 to repair 03 vibe. Another wanted $100 to bypass it. So, I chose the $100 option, not fully understanding things. Now, trying to sell it, when I say converter has been bypassed customer loses interest. I see there are some on eBay for $125. What to do? I feel i have to tell them. Is it better to just buy the $125? What problems could show up from bypassing it? Thank you in advance..
andrewclaus

Re: Bypass catalytic converter

Post by andrewclaus »

I think the CAT you can legally use will depend on if you're in a CARB state. If it has to be labelled to California standards, it's going to be more expensive, maybe double.

I wonder how the shop dealt with the downstream O2 sensor. Do still you have a check engine light after the work?

I've never done this, so I'm not sure, but that's what I've read about other cars.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Does your "Check Engine" light work? It should be on if the convertor is removed unless more things are bypassed. I myself would not by many vehicle if the check engine light did not work. Once I see that it is run away time.
crystal79

Post by crystal79 »

Thanks, guys, The check engine light works, but is not ON when driving. Anyway, I just ordered the kit to restore it to previous state.