Total electric system shutdown

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
pamlico

Total electric system shutdown

Post by pamlico »

Bought an '05 Vibe in May and really like it. Once about a month ago and again last evening, I got in to start it, AC running and the fan speed nearly full and it never turned over before the whole electrical system shut down. The first time it happened, power came back after 15 to 20 minutes. Last night, it took several hours. I have had both alternator and battery checked and they are good. Don't know what to check next. Now it is 8/7. Got it started after -3 hours of sitting the first night and it started right up yesterday morning so I made a trip or two.l Went out this morning and nothing. Dash lights and buzzers but it would not even click to start. Went back out an hour or so later and it started but there was clicking noise before it started. When the system goes out, my radio clock has to be reset when it all comes back. It could be the starter or solenoid. A local parts house sells both for $10 more than just the solenoid which must be ordered. The complete unit is in stock. Am now also wondering about the ignition switch but have no idea how to check it.
jayoldschool

Re: Total electric system shutdown

Post by jayoldschool »

Two things I have personally dealt with on my Vibe:
- corrosion on battery terminal, allows small draw (dash lights/radio, etc), but will not allow big draw for starter
- corroded braided connector between the solenoid and the starter. It just crumbles. You can't replace this, just buy a complete starter.
Derf

Re: Total electric system shutdown

Post by Derf »

Seems like corrosion on the battery cable, make sure to check the ends opposite the battery.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )