2009 Vibe -- recommend tranny lube, engine oil, spark plugs

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
GenVibe301

2009 Vibe -- recommend tranny lube, engine oil, spark plugs

Post by GenVibe301 »

Hello,

My car the past three years is a smooth running 2009 Vibe, base version front wheel drive, manual transmission, 1.8L engine now with 85,000 miles which I am planning to never sell. I am very happy with the Vibe design and driving experience so will make repairs as needed over the coming years rather than ever looking to buy any other car. Location is Mid-Atlantic area.

(a) Radiator
What is the proper coolant fluid to use with the 2009 1.8L engine ?
I recently had the radiator completely flushed then filled with Dexcool because the mechanic said to use the fluid specified in the owner's manual. I assume it is okay because of not being mixed with other types of coolant. What coolant will be best to use after the next radiator flush ?

(b) Manual transmission
What are the best fluids to install for each of these goals: best lubrication and long tranny life, best gas mileage, and quietest operation ?
I assume the manual tranny maintenance is to completely drain out the old fluid then install new fluid rather than flushing like an automatic transmission. Does the manual tranny have a filter to replace ? Note --- please reply with information about maintaining a ~manual~ tranny rather than automatic tranny.

(c) Engine
What are the best fluids to install for each of these goals: best lubrication and long engine life, best gas mileage, and quietest operation ?
Also, what oil filter ? Current oil is fossil fuel Pennzoil and as far as I know the car has never had synthetic oil.

(d) Spark plugs
What spark plugs to use, and what gap distance ?

(e) What are the most common Vibe parts needing maintenance other than the basic upkeep mentioned above ?

Advice will be much appreciated to enjoy this car for a long, long time !

Kevin
Capt.Vibe

Re: 2009 Vibe -- recommend tranny lube, engine oil, spark plugs

Post by Capt.Vibe »

For the rad, use Toyota OEM Super Long Life coolant from the dealer. Do not use the recommended Dex-Cool in the onwers manual.

For the gearbox, use a straight Toyota 75W GL-4 only. Do not use the GM recommended 75w-85 in the owners manual, your gearbox will become more notchy and will be grinding and catching when cold. If the Toyota oil is too expensive use an equivalent synthetic straight 75w. There is no filter, just drain and fill until it starts to drip out the fill hole. Holds about 2 liters

For the engine you can use any 0w-20 or 5w-20 synthetic, I use Mobil1 and sometime I use Toyota synthetic 0w20 from the dealer and a Toyota OEM filter or sonetimes a K&N if I can find a sale.

For spark plugs use original Denso 3444 part # SC20HR11 like these below. They come pre-gapped and ready to install.

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-3444-Spark ... iac%3Avibe

Besides that nothing really breaks down other than the dreaded radio volume/tuner knobs. You also need to pay attention to the rear brakes and have them serviced once a year if you live in the rust belt. Remove the slide pins, grease them and put them back, rear brakes have a tendency to seize if left unserviced.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA