Oil leak

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Tmontague

Oil leak

Post by Tmontague »

I've had my vibe for about 2 months now and I put synthetic oil in it when I got it (it gets damn cold here) for easier starts. I knew the engine had some leaks when I bought it which I addressed. Rear diff axle seal I replaced and the chain tensioner O ring as well as the valve cover.

When I replaced the tensioner O ring oil spilled down the passenger rear side of the engine and left some residue there near the steering pump and what not.

Last week I noticed a small Oil mark just lateral to the oil pan under the car. Took a quick peak and noticed a small droplet hanging on to the Oil drain plug (i never installed a new crush washer when I changed the oil) I wiped it up and tightened the plug but kept noticing the leak only when the oil is hot after driving and then parking it.

Drive it up on ramps and looked around under the car. The Drive pulley oil seal seems fine as there is no oil under it. However there is oil all over the area due to the tensioner O ring I changed so it makes this challenging to pin point.

Seems to be coming from around the drive pulley area and then going backward and down to the oil pan rear side from the force of the air when driving. I can post pictures later this afternoon. Where I'm at now is I've degreased the engine the best as I could and will be driving the car today and then I'll look underneath again and see where the oil is and post back here.

As of now I believe it is coming from the crank position sensor which would be a failing o ring. Has anyone heard of this being an issue in the Vibe's? Never heard of this before in any car I've owned. Is it possible to buy just the O ring and not a whole sensor from Toyota?
The Fun: Toyota Vios '08 5spd m/t heavily modified
The Family whip: '05 Vibe AWD
Tmontague

Re: Oil leak

Post by Tmontague »

I took another look under the Vibe after driving around and getting errands for the day. The car didn't have any drops anywhere andhadn't leaked anymore since I cleaned it up.

I still think the crank position sensor is starting to go so I'll likely try and find the correct size o-ring for that soon. As for now I think the oil drops may have actually been from the spilled oil from the chain tensioner when I removed it. I think when the car warmed up the engine already on the block ended up dripping down to whatever was below it and then eventually off the oil pan onto the ground. The car isn't loosing any oil so it's not a huge issue.

I cleaned up the block so I'll check it once a week until I start seeing it drip again and hopefully narrow it down to what is actually leaking if anything is in fact leaking.

As a side I noticed just above the thermostat there is a small pool of oil sitting on the block. The whole area under the vvt-i solenoid is oil covered and has been since I purchased the car. Later this week or next I'm going to remove the alternator and clean the vvt-i filter as well as the actual solenoid and I'll clean off that area of the engine and inspect it for leaks once it's clean. There doesn't seem to be any fresh oil there so either oil was spilled there a while ago or the valve cover was in really bad shape there before I replaced it.

The solenoid does have an o-ring and the filter bolt below that has a crush washer so those could also be leaking but I'm doubtful.

Anyways, I'll post any updates and see if I nail down a leak or if I'm correct and it's just old oil from previous leaks that was never properly cleaned.
Tmontague

Post by Tmontague »

Just an update:

So after cleaning the engine block with degreaser and brake clean I've noticed no new oil spot under the car so I haven't even bothered to raise it.

I guess it ws just oil spill residue coming down the block from then I changed the o ring gasket. That said, it also means that all the oil on the block was from the bad o ring gasket. I wasn't actually sure if it was bad just replaced in anyways when I bought the car.

On a side note, the oil catch can has a little bit of oil in it after 300km, so it's working nicely
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Tmontague wrote:On a side note, the oil catch can has a little bit of oil in it after 300km, so it's working nicely
What?!? :shock:

Dude! You can't just say something like that and not give details! Did you buy one on rig it yourself? Where/how did you install it? Pics? Details?

:D
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Tmontague

Post by Tmontague »

lol, here's the link

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45634

the set up of the 1zz makes it a very easy install and a great place for it to sit to be able to be emptied