Do you use Walmart brand oil filters and oil?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Plarka

Do you use Walmart brand oil filters and oil?

Post by Plarka »

I compared the filters in the store and the Walmart one is way smaller and doesn't look at good. But maybe the Fram is unnecessarily bigger? And the sure grip stuff made it look fancier? Is it necessary?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
Caretaker

Re: Do you use Walmart brand oil filters and oil?

Post by Caretaker »

As long as the oil meets the current API (American Petroleum Institute) standard, which I believe is now up to SL on the letter code, I'd use it. The Super Tech oil does meet the latest SL standard. As far as the oil filter is concerned, certainly it is critical in that it is "skimming" debris from the oil and keeping the engine from damage. If you change your oil every 3,000-5,000 miles like I do, I don't pay much attention to the quality of the filter. If you are someone who forgets to change the oil, then the quality of the filter becomes critical.

http://www.api.org/products-and-service ... nforcement
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

No. I use the WAY oversized Toyota (equivalent) V6/V8 filter, and synthetic oil, along with the TSB specified higher fill level. More oil is good. More good oil is better.
Plarka

Post by Plarka »

I'd like to use synthetic because I heard you don't have to change it as often, but can I start doing that at 203,000 and 123,000 miles? Might my cars object?
2005 Vibe Base
Blue
203,000 miles

Toyota Corolla
125,000 miles
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Plarka wrote:I'd like to use synthetic because I heard you don't have to change it as often, but can I start doing that at 203,000 and 123,000 miles? Might my cars object?
As long as you drain the old oil out, going to synthetic will do no harm. It will help keep your 123k's engine going for another 100k. Regular oil changes are more of a determining factor. You can often get Mobil 1 synth cheapest at WalMart in a 5 qt jug. Just don't use the whole jug (save 1/2 qt).

I use the Mobil 1 oil filter ~$10 bucks if I can get a coupon code, buy online, and pick-up from the auto store.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Our 09s have only ever had Penzoil conventional and Toyota filters. My dad has always used Penzoil conventional in our vehicles and we've had several high mileage vehicles, so I figure, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Personally, I would not use Walmart brand oil and / or filters, but that's just me.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage