Onstar Autodimming Mirror with Compass 2009

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
MacGyver

Onstar Autodimming Mirror with Compass 2009

Post by MacGyver »

This install was on a 2009 Base.

I got the mirror out of an old Cadillac at the Junkyard. Many Cadillacs and Buicks have the autodimming mirror as standard equipment, in case you're looking.

Because I'm tall, I like to have my mirror as far up as it will go so I can see under it. While newer versions of this mirror have the compass electronics inside, this early version of the Gentex mirror with compass has the compass electronics external to the mirror, on a fixed cable. Because I wasn't able to use the factory intended mounting on the top of the mirror arm, I simply cut excess plastic of the compass housing intended for mounting to the mirror arm, to make it as small as possible, and then mounted it in the proper orientation (cable facing towards front of vehicle) with some 3M VHB tape.

The 16 pin plug has all the wires needed except for 12V for the autodimming mirror. I used a short length of cable from a donor plug I also got at the junkyard and inserted it at position 13. I soldered this wire to an extension and ran it along just inside the headliner, down the A pillar to the same power connection that I use for my dashcam, so it's switched with the ignition. Onstar still works as far as I can tell.

The compass works fine, although it needs to be calibrated first. Hold down the power button until "C" is displayed, then drive around in circles in an empty parking lot to calibrate. A quick press of the button toggles the compass display on or off. A longer press toggles the autodimming mirror on or off. More instructions are here: http://www.gentex.com/sites/default/fil ... ooting.pdf You can also set the compass zone according to maps in this PDF.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (18.65 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (26.78 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Re: Onstar Autodimming Mirror with Compass 2009

Post by MacGyver »

More pictures.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (31.01 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (30.02 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
2009 Vibe Base
2010GTJT

Post by 2010GTJT »

How about actually attaching the mirror? Is there any difference in mounting the new mirror compared to the old one? Do you need part of the old factory Mirrors Mount?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Mirror mount is the standard GM mount. It's really plug an play as long as you find the right mirror, and add the 12V line.
2009 Vibe Base
MaxxVibe

Post by MaxxVibe »

MacGyver wrote:Mirror mount is the standard GM mount. It's really plug an play as long as you find the right mirror, and add the 12V line.

my 2009 Pontiac vibe gt already has powered mirror from factory with the OnStar, phone and emergency button already on it, can I just swap out the Cadillac, hummer auto dimming/compass mirror and have it work? I wont be using the Bluetooth, or onstar options on my existing mirror, but id love to have auto dimming and compass. I see that there is 09 10 11 12 Matrix Camry Corolla Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror I can get off ebay. Anybody done this swap? its a direct fit for Matrix 09-12. Surely the wiring harness is the same on vibes too.
2009 Vibe GT/Factory Bermuda Bay Blue/5 speed shiftable automatic/ two tone leather combo interior/18x7 factory polished wheels/rear spoiler/ Monsoon Premium sound system/ Grafxwerks badging/20% tint all around
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I don't know if the mirror mounts are the same. Otherwise there's no reason you can use any autodimming mirror, since they all run on 12V.

The OnStar mirror uses a 16 pin connector, and on your GT there is no 12V line to the mirror, only 5V from the OnStar module under the seat. From my earlier research other Gentex Autodimming mirrors use smaller plugs with fewer pins because there is no need for as many as the OnStar mirror. You need to run switched 12V from the fuse box so the mirror isn't constantly on, draining the battery. I've read of some people who do away with OnStar completely and reuse one of the OnStar mirror button wires for 12V instead, but I wanted to keep OnStar relatively intact because I can still use it for WiFi on US trips without roaming charges.
2009 Vibe Base
2010GTJT

Post by 2010GTJT »

Finally got it in. Did use fuse your 12v connection to the mirror? If so what Amp should be used?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

2010GTJT wrote:Finally got it in. Did use fuse your 12v connection to the mirror? If so what Amp should be used?
I connected it to the same "add-a-circuit" that my dashcam runs on, which I have fused at 10A. Rearview mirror alone doesn't draw much, 5A or even a 3A should be enough.
2009 Vibe Base