Transmission fit A245E on a 1zzfe?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
cgeorge95

Transmission fit A245E on a 1zzfe?

Post by cgeorge95 »

Morning! This is my first post, I've been lurking for a while. I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8l 1ZZ-FE, FWD A246E transmission. It was my dads vehicle since new, has 250,000 miles on it, and one day he went to pull out of work and in R/D there is a loud grinding sound. Sounds like the input shaft / torque converter splines are stripped, flywheel broke, or another internal failure of the transmission. The engine starts and runs great still.

I'm looking to just swap out the transmission from the junkyard ($100, $25 core), this is gonna be a budget project. That's all it needs and that's all I want to throw at it, maybe a cat to fix the CEL. What I need to know, (and yes I've searched, can't find definitive answers) is what transmissions will fit and function as normal with this engine.

From what I've read it looks like the A246E only came equipped on the 03-08 FWD vibes, 03-08 FWD matrix', and 94-99 Celica ST 2.2L's is that correct?
Will the A245E fit perfectly onto a 1ZZ-FE engine without any mods and hook up just like the A246E / Start up with no issues and not need reprogramming? If so then that opens my window for transmission's greatly.
Are there any other transmissions that will fit or am I limited to only A246E transmissions?

Any advice / knowledge would be appreciated! Thanks!
lannvouivre

Re: Transmission fit A245E on a 1zzfe?

Post by lannvouivre »

I don't think anyone knows if the A245E would work. You could buy one and try if they are very cheap, and sell the transmission if it doesn't fit. It'd probably take months to sell the transmission, though, and you will probably have to do so at a loss.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ImUrOBGYN

Re: Transmission fit A245E on a 1zzfe?

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

You could try here: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref

But not really sure if that'll help you. Most just direct swap, especially due to programming concerns, or go manual.

Minus the labor, most junkyards will let you return the transmission if it doesn't work. Just talk to them about it before purchasing it if you do decide to try the A245E route.

Gl, perhaps someone else will chime in w/more help.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage