2006 Vibe AWD need a little help please

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Petrus

2006 Vibe AWD need a little help please

Post by Petrus »

Recently bought a new to me vibe. Body is in decent shape and she has 257k miles. Three issues on it

1. Front struts need to be replaced. Watching videos, doesn't look like a difficult thing to do. Got the monroe quick strut and will replace this weekend.
2. Several error codes all pointing to a defective evap canister. Bought a new gas cap, reset the codes. If it happens again, will replace the canister.
3. Airbag light on. Error code b1 181. Horn works. Airbag light is on no matter where the steering wheel is when started. From what I've been reading, a new clock spring will fix this problem.

Is the same year matrix clock spring interchangeable? Cheap on ebay, don't know if it will work tho. If the clock spring doesn't fix the issue, where to next?

From what I've read, it appears replacing the evap canister is not too difficult? Most of what I've read is on the 2003.

Thanks for you help.
ehoff121

Re: 2006 Vibe AWD need a little help please

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!
Petrus wrote:1. Front struts need to be replaced. Watching videos, doesn't look like a difficult thing to do. Got the monroe quick strut and will replace this weekend.
A few on the board have had issues with the correct torque using the Monroe nuts on top of the strut tower. Searching the forum for Monroe will bring up a bunch of threads.
2. Several error codes all pointing to a defective evap canister. Bought a new gas cap, reset the codes. If it happens again, will replace the canister.
We love to help out, so knowing the exact codes helps us help you. :D Many have had issues with evap codes (myself included) and changing the canister may not solve your issue.
3. Airbag light on. Error code b1 181. Horn works. Airbag light is on no matter where the steering wheel is when started. From what I've been reading, a new clock spring will fix this problem.

Not sure about this one specifically, but ~85% of the parts are OEM Toyota.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Petrus

Post by Petrus »

Thanks! I have reset the codes and didn't save them. If it comes up again, I will post back. Thanks again!
Petrus

Post by Petrus »

So the codes came back

P2401
P2402
P2419
P043e
P043f

Thanks in advance!!
jolt

Post by jolt »

Check out this info, it may help:

http://www.autocodes.com/uploads/toyota/EG002-06.pdf

This site may help with the codes too:

http://www.engine-codes.com/p2402_toyota.html

Not sure about the clock spring but you can check here:

https://www.amazon.com/84306-02110-Spir ... entries*=0

*"Please make sure the OEM number matches your model parts" as stated from the link above.
Petrus

Post by Petrus »

Replaced the canister and all codes from before are now gone. However a new code has come up

P0456 evap system leak (very small leak)

I have repalced the gas cap about a week ago. I will check all vacuum lines, also may be caused by vent or purge solenoid.
Are one of these attached to the canister? And another up on the engine bay? Thanks in advance!!
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

There is a hard, ribbed plastic tube, about 1" diameter that goes from the evap to the engine. It runs under the passenger side of the car and can be the source of this leak. It's a pricey hose, but that would be a potential suspect.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum