Blower Motor Relay Location

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Bowtie65

Blower Motor Relay Location

Post by Bowtie65 »

My wife 2006 Vibe Blower Motor started sporadically operating and now has basically quit. First thought that popped into my head was check the relay since I didn't hear it clicking. Figured that would be a simple task until I started looking for it. Well I'm still looking for it. I found one behind the glove box to the upper right which i later found out was definitely not it when the car wouldn't start. Anyone know where this thing is actually located? Also do you have to take anything apart other than popping the glove box out?
ehoff121

Re: Blower Motor Relay Location

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

It might be a problem with the Blower Motor Resistor.

Check step #6 on this post to locate it and remove it to visually inspect the board: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29211&p=511523 The part is about the size of a playing card and costs around $30.

If you have a voltmeter, you can test the printed circuits on the board but if there's a break or a scorch mark, you'll probably see it.

http://www.partsgeek.com/167rl6j-pontia ... istor.html
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
joatmon

Re: Blower Motor Relay Location

Post by joatmon »

The blower relay is sometimes called the heater relay. It is above the glove box, see the pics in unrelated thread
viewtopic.php?t=5078
The relay could go bad, but don't remember anyone here ever having that happen. Might be loose though, should be able to reach up and around that junction box and press the relay back down

Some folks here have had the actual blower motor wear out to where it becomes intermittent, sometimes going on or off after a good whack or sharp bump in the road.

And as ehoff said, could be the blower resistor. Classic sign of a bad resistor is fan only blows on highest speed, or perhaps only highest two speeds. But a bad resistor isn't intermittwnt, wither the low fan speeds work or they dont, not sometimes