Antilock Brakes

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
wmdiess

Antilock Brakes

Post by wmdiess »

I have a 2006 Vibe without antilock brakes and I was wondering if it would be possible to install them?

This may sound crazy, but I could get all the components from a local salvage yard for $100 or so. My car's wiring harness has places to connect everything in. I doubt it is worth the effort, but I'm curious if it can be done.

Seeking advice and/or encouragement.

Bill
joatmon

Re: Antilock Brakes

Post by joatmon »

with cars, in general, pretty much anything can be done.I don't think anyone here has ever reported doing that before.

I've attached the ABS wiring diagram for an 03 Matrix, which might be the same as for your 06 Vibe. Probably, but no guarantee. Might help if you go for it

I've never had to do it, but I've heard that bleeding air out of the ABS system is more complicated than bleeding the air of the non-ABS brake system.

If you do it, take pictures and post a write up on the process

If it were me, I wouldn't do it, I guess I don't trust my ability enough to do the job well enough. My first rule of driving is "Don't hit anything" Consequently, my first rule of car maintenance/reliability is "It's more important that a car be able to stop than for it to go". My Vibe came with ABS, and if they broke I'd try to fix it myself, but I don't think I'd install ABS myself in a car that didn't have a broken brake system. But that's just me
Attachments
039abs.pdf
03 Matrix ABS wiring diagram
(54.55 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
wmdiess

Post by wmdiess »

Thanks for the diagram. I'm going to take a few brake systems apart at the junk yard and see what I'm up against. Yes, brakes are important and I won't do anything to compromise safety. It really appears that the wiring is already there in the harness. Even the hardware to hang the wheel sensors is there.

Yes, I will document this if I do it. It would be more for the challenge than anything.

Bill
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

You also have to perform special procedures to bleed ABS brakes, seemingly also involving a special scanner.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Mechanically it wouldn't be too hard. You would have to make some brake lines yourself but other than that it should be mostly plug and play. I would worry more about making the electronics work. Now days all the systems in the car work together. The ECM/traction control interacts with the ABS so at minimum the computer would have to be flashed with the correct software.

You would also have to replace your rear wheel bearings and front cv axles with ones with abs reluctor wheels.
wmdiess

Post by wmdiess »

lannvouivre wrote:You also have to perform special procedures to bleed ABS brakes, seemingly also involving a special scanner.
I have said scanner, the real challenge is determining all systems that work with ABS.

There is a junk 2006 Vibe in a nearby salvage yard, if it is still there when it is warmer I might do this. Not for the added value but just to see if it can be done.

Bill
wmdiess

Post by wmdiess »

gtv237 wrote:I would worry more about making the electronics work.
This is indeed the biggest challenge. There is also a procedure for centering the steering so ABS can "learn" straight ahead.

Rather then flash the ECM, I could swap off the donor car. I'm intrigued by the challenge, but it looks harder every time I open the manual.

Bill