05 Base Hood / Latch Issue

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
hax3

05 Base Hood / Latch Issue

Post by hax3 »

I know there's been many topics about issues with hood latch... just a few months ago (before winter) I sprayed the latch liberally with liquid wrench. Today had an oil change done at Costco and on my way home getting on the highway the hood popped open and flipped all the way back resting against the windshield! :o Luckily, we didn't cause any accident, also, the windshield did not crack or worse, shatter while I was driving home with my young family. I was able to flip the hood back down on the side of the highway, however, the hood will not latch at all - had to use bungee cord to 'secure' the hood. Since this happened at night I have not been able to look at it closer. Hoping to get some info here so I can be better prepared tomorrow when I look it.

My question is
- is the hood designed to be able to flip all the way back like that?
- I'm worried that the hinges might have gotten damaged when it flipped back that's why the latch for catch any more... I'm assuming they're not designed to flip like that..

Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
05 Moonstone
lannvouivre

Re: 05 Base Hood / Latch Issue

Post by lannvouivre »

Look at the hinges and the metal around them for damage. They're probably ok. I recommend replacing the latch or making sure it's aligned correctly.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

That happened to a neighbor's 95 Explorer a few months ago. I managed to get it to shut back for her and it stays shut. It can be reopened but it's a pain. Beats having it tied shut with a thin rope like she had it.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
hax3

Post by hax3 »

Thank you lannvouivre and BenWa for your replies - I will take a look and hope it can be fixed at no or minimal cost..
05 Moonstone
trb

Post by trb »

So, do you not have the safety latch that would have prevented the hood from flying up, or is it possibly misaligned? Has the car been in any frontal accidents, since it should not have popped up unless the safety latch was missing or damaged.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

*happened on your way home from a Costco oil change?*
Likely they didn't latch it fully causing the hood to come loose. Would recommend calling them or their claims department. Best case they'll pay to fix, worst case they'll probably throw a free oil change your way (just remember to make sure the hood is latched next time).
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

sideshowalan wrote:*happened on your way home from a Costco oil change?*
Likely they didn't latch it fully causing the hood to come loose. Would recommend calling them or their claims department. Best case they'll pay to fix, worst case they'll probably throw a free oil change your way (just remember to make sure the hood is latched next time).
You might also file a consumer complaint with the state attorney general's office. Yes, it actually might make Costco volunteer to pay for repairs.... assuming Costco doesn't do the right thing when you contact them directly first. Companies don't want black marks against them, even if it's against one store and only at the state level. Keep that as a last resort option however. You could also try calling Costco corporate if you can find a number for them before you resort to the attorney general.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
hax3

Post by hax3 »

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions..

TRB - yes I would have expected the safety latch to have been at least engaged to prevent the hood from popping up... but I guess that was sticky as well and was not properly in place.

In the end, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage from the incident and after applying liquid wrench to the everything the hood was able to close properly again... lesson learned - make sure to apply liquid wrench more often and also double check hood is latched properly everytime it's been popped open. I'm hesitant to pursue anything with Costco as it's technically due to a somewhat malfunctioning main and safety latch..

Thanks again everyone for your help!
05 Moonstone
trb

Post by trb »

Well, that is good to hear. I wish I had pics of my poor Mustang when the hood on it flew open. Let's say it was not pretty after flying up at about 45mph. I had just hit a truck with a tube bumper in traffic, crunched my headlights and the front of the hood and it would not latch properly, so it was bungee corded shut. Well the bungee cord did not hold. Luckily I was able to find a new hood the same color and adjust the latch and safety catch to work properly.

Good luck with it and hopefully it won't happen again!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car