Engine removal and replacement write up?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Adamnsheana

Engine removal and replacement write up?

Post by Adamnsheana »

First off... I did try searching for a write up on removing the engine and replacing it. But no luck. I just wanted to know if anyone has a write up, or done it and could give me some tips specific to the Pontiac Vibe 03 1.8L. Thanks for the help
vibrologist

Re: Engine removal and replacement write up?

Post by vibrologist »

Have you tried looking up the same year Toyota Matrix/Corolla on google and youtube?

If you find a link, please post it here.

all the best!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

It's really simple. A full write-up isn't really necessary, honestly. The only tricky part is marrying the engine and transmission (fully seat torque converter, bolt engine to transmission bellhousing, then line up the torque converter and flexplate and bolt them together through the inspection window). Literally all you need to do is disconnect all the coolant hoses and unbolt everything, there's nothing special about it.

Disconnect the exhaust downpipe, unbolt the power steering pump and A/C compressor and tie them aside. Drain the transmission and engine. Remove axles (unbolt lower strut bolts, remove axle nut indentions). Disconnect all electrical connections and tie entire harness aside. Unbolt side mounts.

Either you can drop it down with the crossmember (unbolt ball joint, tie rod ends, mark steering column yoke and column and disconnect, unbolt power steering reservoir, and unbolt side mounts).

Or you can pull it all out the top by disconnecting the front and rear mounts as well.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Adamnsheana

Post by Adamnsheana »

Thanks for the info. I have not really worked on many newer cars. I always worked on old vw's and a 67 Camaro. Wasn't sure how tricky it would be. I will need to pull it out from the top, however how much ground clearance do I need for everything else? Thanks for all the help.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Adam: I think it takes more than 4 bolts. ;-)

Peter Finn has detailed the process in a series of videos based on a Toyota Corolla. I have not watched the series but I am sure he has more answers than you have questions. You may have the right motivation to watch the videos:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pl ... zilla&tt=b
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

You need enough space under to unhook everything, then lower the car back down to the lowest height on the jackstands to pull the assembly out the top. I recently did mine and unbolted the engine from the transmission, then pulled the engine out alone out the top.

Putting the engine back in alone is a nightmare, getting it out is easier for me because then I don't have to pull axles. You have to get under the car and twist the engine to realign it with the bellhousing dowels and bolt holes, so it's pretty hard to do alone. I had my dad also support the engine with a long pipe, but at one point I was lifting it up using my knees/shins, unfortunately with all the weight going into my lower spine (I am an idiot, I could have broken my back).

It was also at this time that I discovered my mom doesn't know a bolt from a ratchet or fuel injectors, because I foolishly had left the bolts out of reach.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit