Looking for customization ideas

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Blanco_Diablo

Looking for customization ideas

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

I currently have access to the following:

• 3D Printer
• CO2 Laser Engraver (useful for wood, leather and plexigass)
• Industrial sewing machine (although I have no confidence whatsoever in my sewing skills)
• Screen printing paraphernalia

Looking to learn these machines a bit more thoroughly and create something cool for the vibe. I was thinking about starting with a custom steering wheel wrap with "Conspiracy" graphic/pattern laser etched into it. In brainstorming mode at the moment so I am definitely open to ideas I can play around with.
handmedown03

Re: Looking for customization ideas

Post by handmedown03 »

Some kind of custom door panel mod would be a great project. Overhead console running full length center with plexi inserts that light up and say Conspiracy? Fillers for the rear side windows that have custom lighting or custom speakers in them. Windows are useless to see out of. Custom leather pouches for the doors or for the sides of the trans shifter console? Trick out the lower interior panel on the hatch with custom graphics or tool pouch? Dont know the limits of your 3d printer but maybe a center console with cupholders for the rear? LED lighting in all cubbies and cupholders is big in new vehicles. If you don't use the rear seat much, take off the headrests and make custom fillers for the holes to free up rear vision and make it easier when dropping seat.
Blanco_Diablo

Re: Looking for customization ideas

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Thanks for the ideas... full length console is a bit beyond my level of non-expertise :) Pouches/some type of leather storage could be interesting to play with. The 3D printer is very slow, to do something the size of a console would take forever. Custom badges/hood ornaments maybe... a 1/4" thick emblem that was about 1" x 2.5" took approx. 45 min to print. I don't trust myself with any lighting at the moment beyond bulb color changes...LOL! Got some brainstorming to do!