power window regulator

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
GOF

power window regulator

Post by GOF »

Just got a call from my wife's brother. Nice guy. But mechanically dangerous to himself and others.

So he tells me that his wife's 2003 Vibe has a problem with the drivers door window. Says it is "off the track". Not having had one of these apart I want to say it needs a regulator. So my question is, should I order a regulator? Or is there something else that can fail in these windows?
trb

Re: power window regulator

Post by trb »

There was a recall on the window bolts that attached the window to the regulator since the original ones failed quite often. It is possible that the recall was never done and the bolts failed, causing the issue. Or maybe they failed even after the repair. Something to check on before spending any money on it.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... mmary=true
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Another common problem is the bracket that bolts to the regulator could come unglued from the window.
Have to take the door panel off and look around to know for sure.
If that's the case, it's fixable by removing the window and gluing the bracket back in place w/ some gorilla glue and a clamp.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
GOF

Post by GOF »

Thanks guys. Things to check before I order anything.
GOF

Post by GOF »

So I went and checked this out today. Seems that the regulator is mangled. Twisted like a pretzel. I guess that's what happens when you keep trying to force a frozen window to open. :roll:
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

GOF wrote:So I went and checked this out today. Seems that the regulator is mangled. Twisted like a pretzel. I guess that's what happens when you keep trying to horse a frozen window to open. :roll:
It's not moving because you're not forcing it hard enough!
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
GOF

Post by GOF »

Oh crap! Is that all?