Sensitive / Jerky / sudden throttle from stop FIXED!

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
TRock

Sensitive / Jerky / sudden throttle from stop FIXED!

Post by TRock »

Okay.. a lot of people say the initial lunge or wheel spinning or sensitivity of the accelerator when going from stop is because of the DBW (drive-by-wire) or that the computer needs to be reset. I tried everything on my 2006 Pontiac Vibe and finally figured it out. It just needed a 5 mins cleaning of the Throttle Body. It moves from stop smooth as a Lexus now ;)

NOTE: After cleaning the throttle body the car will idle higher because the computer now has to adjust to the cleaned throttle body moving air quicker. It will take a few drives for it to come back down to the regular idle RPM.
GaryG92

Re: Sensitive / Jerky / sudden throttle from stop FIXED!

Post by GaryG92 »

TRock wrote:Okay.. a lot of people say the initial lunge or wheel spinning or sensitivity of the accelerator when going from stop is because of the DBW (drive-by-wire) or that the computer needs to be reset. I tried everything on my 2006 Pontiac Vibe and finally figured it out. It just needed a 5 mins cleaning of the Throttle Body. It moves from stop smooth as a Lexus now ;)

NOTE: After cleaning the throttle body the car will idle higher because the computer now has to adjust to the cleaned throttle body moving air quicker. It will take a few drives for it to come back down to the regular idle RPM.
Thanks for the post. I'll have to add this to do to-do list. 135k miles, probably has never been cleaned.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9 ... -pics.html

Found this write up after looking at your post.
Proud Vibe owner as of 6/13/2015
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
Looking forward to many years of good Vibes!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

This is a fix we did on a Toyota RAV4 to fix a shaky idle after updating the software on the ECM. Some people don't believe this is a working fix, but it is.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

lannvouivre wrote:This is a fix we did on a Toyota RAV4 to fix a shaky idle after updating the software on the ECM. Some people don't believe this is a working fix, but it is.
It worked great for me! My acceleration from stand still is nice and smooth now.
Proud Vibe owner as of 6/13/2015
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
Looking forward to many years of good Vibes!
B14CK_H4WK

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

I think it would honestly be easier to just take off the throttle body from the intake manifold and clean both sides that way, instead of holding it open and trying to clean it. The throttle body is only 2 bolts and 2 nuts
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

WONDERFUL TO KNOW. But I have a fix for the OLDER non-DBW on my AWD, that I need to post pictures. But can't figure out how to show pics ?
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

jasonvibe wrote:WONDERFUL TO KNOW. But I have a fix for the OLDER non-DBW on my AWD, that I need to post pictures. But can't figure out how to show pics ?
Upload your pictures to imgur.com and click the Img button in the comment/post editing interface on this site. Past the URL of the image like so:
[img*]URL[*/img] but remove the asterisks *
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit