losing rpm's

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
gingerbread78

losing rpm's

Post by gingerbread78 »

I have owned a 2005 Pontiac vibe for 3 months now and two of those months have been nothing bit problems. I lose rpms while driving and the car will not go over 20 mph. I have replaced mad sensor,spark plugs, catalyc converter, and o2 sensors. Now says my fuel pump has low pressure. Is this my possible problem b4 I spend the money to fix it!
SeattleJeremy

Re: losing rpm's

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Can you give us some more information about the car? What engine and transmission? How many miles on the OD? What is the code being reported by computer? Does the engine sound like it's stumbling or does it die when in gear?

The car loosing RPM's when going up a hill, and not being able to get up to speed are both symptoms of a failing fuel pump.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I am fairly certain your car's symptoms are consistent with a failed fuel pump/filter. I am sure you must correct this problem before any further troubleshooting is possible. I don't see that you have any option but to replace the fuel pump. Vibe fuel pumps rarely go bad, therefore I would consider a used replacement from the junkyard - If I could save enough money. How much does a new fuel pump/filter cost? I understand it is a relatively easy task to replace, if you can work safely with an open gas container and the fumes without blowing yourself UP! Start with disconnecting the battery.
triz

Post by triz »

Could be a bat catalytic converter too. You'll have trouble getting up to speed and it will severely restrict your RPM's

I apologize I saw you had that replaced are you getting any codes and if so what are they if they are more than one.

P???
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only