Adding cruise to 09 Vibe

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Aceboyd

Adding cruise to 09 Vibe

Post by Aceboyd »

I have an 09 Vibe and really want to add CC. I've done my research and found plenty of info on the earlier models but zero for 09 and above. I'd much prefer to simply add the factory switch (ACDelco D1983F Cruise Control Switch ) for $34 but it seems there will be more to it. The older model switches have wires attached that are used to plug into the wires and horn under the airbag. The later model switches have no wires but a female plug receptacle. I removed my air bag and there are no loose wires present that may be plugged into the switch. The Rostra kit is pricey at $150 and according to the pictures looks rather complicated but it may just be a generic picture and not specific to this car. If anyone has experience with adding cruise to the later models I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
beemerphile1

Re: Adding cruise to 09 Vibe

Post by beemerphile1 »

If you do a search, you will find some threads on here where owners have purchased and installed the control/stalk. Everything needed is there, it is plug and play.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Aceboyd

Post by Aceboyd »

Again, I've found plenty of info on the earlier models but none for the later, '09 and above. There must have been an update that year because the switch is different and the wiring under the airbag is different. There are no free wires under there to plug into the switch. If the info is not out there I may have to break down and spring for the $150 Rostra kit but I'd much rather save a bunch and have a factory switch!
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

http://www.partswebsite.com/gmpartscent ... atid=30166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The switch and harness (3 and 4 on the diagram) should be all you need. Sounds like you are missing the harness. If you want to be complete and not just cut a hole in the existing one you can also get the right side cover (7 on the diagram, the right side one with comfort package without leather).
Image  Image
Aceboyd

Post by Aceboyd »

Thank you, thank you, thank you Rayven! That's exactly what I was looking for. I do have a quick question about the covers though, as in why would there be a left and a right? I have a bare bones base model and from what I gathered I'd have to cut a hole in the plastic to accommodate the cruise lever mounted on the right side behind and under the wheel. Does this mean the "w/o comfort package right" cover is the one I should order? Thank you tremendously for the info!
Aceboyd

Post by Aceboyd »

I find this quite odd but I'm having better luck searching this very forum from an outside search engine. Lesson learned. After finally finding more '09 info I'm guessing the higher end models have covers on either side of the wheel but my bare bones model does not and will require some cutting. That's the least of my concerns though. Finding that pesky little harness was the real obstacle, and Mr. Rayven came through for me. Thanks again.
Aceboyd

Post by Aceboyd »

Righto. I just earned myself the "Mr. Observant" Award! After conducting some meticulous, in depth research (I blundered out and looked at the stupid steering wheel!) I have deduced that there are indeed two small covers on either side of the wheel. So...the switch, harness AND cover plate are now on order and I anxiously await their arrival. :D
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

You want the right cover with the comfort package without leather. Comfort package in this case means cruise control. Leather means GT.
Image  Image
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The basic stuff is already there,so how much would it have cost GM to make Cruise Control standard? That would have been a great selling point.
Might have even more than justified a $100 increase in basic msrp.
The power pkg was $945 msrp (831.60 inv) and included power windows, power door locks/remote entry and cruise.
Maybe they needed the cruise to justify that option price.
Power mirrors were standard.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Aceboyd

Post by Aceboyd »

Quick update gentleman. I received the correct cover today but not the harness yet. GMPartsDirect has an annoying "handling charge" and they don't list their GM part numbers and for good reason. I always use that to search for the best price. I vow to correct their little oversight and post the part numbers here for others benefit. I'm really dying to get this installed and hope to get back with a glowing report on my newly installed cruise control for around 80 bucks. Stay tuned.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I used to use GMPartsDirect until I emailed them asking about a part and they gave me the incorrect part number and than wouldn't accept it as a return even though it was their mistake.

I now only deal with GMPartsCenter.net. They have cheaper prices and only charge an $8.95 handling fee. Shipping is free on everything except bigger items i.e. body panels, wheels, etc. I have also emailed them numerous times for part numbers and they have always given me the correct information.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Aceboyd

Post by Aceboyd »

Great News! My parts finally arrived and after a ridiculously simple installation, I'm the proud owner of a Vibe with Cruise! :lol: I plan to trek all over the country in this thing so I'm positively thrilled that I could do it so cheaply and easily. I hearty thanks for all the help with the project. I'll post those part numbers when I get the chance.