AC clutch relay

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Macadoo

AC clutch relay

Postby Macadoo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:20 am

Hello everyone,
My wife owns an 03 Vibe and the AC stopped working. I can't get the clutch to engage to check the refrigerant pressure. I've been researching for days and have discovered I can short the B1 and B4 terminals in the relay socket of the M/G CLT relay but mine has no markings. Nor does the socket. Can anyone tell me (from the pic) which pins need to be shorted? I don't want to just randomly short terminals, I'm guessing bad things could happen. The relay has two copper terminals and two silver (colored).
I've tried swapping out the relay for the horn relay and the under-dash fuse looks fine. And the clutch spins freely by hand.
Thanks very much,
-Macadoo

joatmon

Re: AC clutch relay

Postby joatmon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:20 am

welcome to genvibe

From viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37869

jumper the two marked in the picture, the ones that correspond to the larger copper terminals on your relay, and if that doesn't work, try a jumper from the battery + (red) terminal to the contact labelled "12V to Clutch"

I'd try it first with the engine not running, should be a noticeable clack sound if the clutch engages

Macadoo

Postby Macadoo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks joatmon, I'll try it.

Macadoo

Postby Macadoo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:01 am

I tried both, shorting the terminals and running directly from the positive of the battery to the "to clutch" terminal. Nothing. Anything else to check before I take it to the shop?

trb

Postby trb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Pull the wire off the AC clutch itself and check it for 12V when you jump the terminals. That will confirm if the wiring to the clutch is good or not, or if it has a problem with the clutch itself.

So does the compressor turn manually?
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car

Macadoo

Postby Macadoo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks trb, I'll try that. Is there just one wire and does it run to the compressor or the compressor clutch? Any special settings for my multimeter? And yes, the clutch turns easily by hand (with the motor off of course).
Thanks.

Macadoo

Postby Macadoo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:47 am

Well crud, I have power getting to the clutch. Thanks for the tips everyone. At least I know it isn't just the relay.
-Mac

joatmon

Postby joatmon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:48 am

Macadoo wrote:Well crud, I have power getting to the clutch.

I had that same sinking feeling only a couple of months ago.

The AC clutch is a separately replaceable part, so if you take it to a shop, my advice is to not let them talk you into the more expensive job of a full compressor replacement. Granted, there may be other things wrong with the AC system you can't know about until the clutch is working, but I think it is worth the chance that the clutch is the only thing wrong, based on my one data point that the clutch was the only thing wrong with mine

Don't know what a shop would charge for that job, perhaps a couple of hours of not cheap labor. GM part number is 88972204, and the GM list price for the AC clutch kit is about $200, but you can get the part cheaper on line. Pretty sure Toyota used a different compressor, so although quite often parts from a Matrix or corolla will fit the vibe, this is one case where you need the GM part.

Also, the clutch is basically a large solenoid, the coil is a sealed unit, don't bother hoping it can be fixed by means other than replacing it. Mine developed an open in the winding somewhere

triz

Postby triz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:58 pm

If you need a AC Compressor I have one off a 2zz with 30k miles. 75+shipping.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only

Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow

Postby Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread I just wanted to jump in and say THANK YOU to @joatmon for the picture . I was able to start up my compressor for a split second this way to ascertain that it's not dead, probably just all the refrigerant leaked out over 13 years, which is understandable. Getting some more 12a coolant tomorrow and hopefullly will be able to revive my AC now that winter has finally come to Vancouver!
2004 Pontiac Vibe Base Automatic Orange on Gray Cladding
GenVibe Rules!

tpollauf

Postby tpollauf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow wrote:Getting some more 134a coolant tomorrow and hopefully will be able to revive my AC now that summer has finally come to Vancouver!

That looks better ;)
"everything is modifiable"

Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow

Postby Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:57 pm

tpollauf wrote:
Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow wrote:Getting some more 134a coolant tomorrow and hopefully will be able to revive my AC now that summer has finally come to Vancouver!

That looks better ;)

Haha force of habit
Tho 12a unfortunately is all they sell here ... :/
GenVibe Rules!

Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow

Postby Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:18 am

I'll dig this up one more time to say

I was successful in reviving my air conditioner for $50 Canadian and 1 hour of labor

When your AC compressor isn't engaging

Check the fuse under the steering wheel
Check the relay switch under the hood in the instrument panel (i think it's what it's called)

Get an AC recharge kit

hook up the refill hose to the low-end pressure valve of the AC
short-out the relay switch as per higher up in this thread , with a paperclip
turn on the engine
turn on the AC
puncture the 12A/134A tank by turning clockwise all the way its knozzle
and let it refill for a while until the pressure gauge goes uup to between 35-60psi (the green zone on your gauge)

if you suspect a leak, you can also use a leak-seal spray can that should patch it up

bam , freezing cold AC air once again

<3 GenVibe
GenVibe Rules!

Return to “Tech Info & Do-It-Yourself Info”