'03 Vibe base - hatch doesn't lock

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
somwicked

'03 Vibe base - hatch doesn't lock

Post by somwicked »

Ok, so I'm new here although I've been trolling the last few weeks absorbing as much as I can.

I picked up a high mileage 2003 Silver/Black Vibe. She has a few issues from neglect and needs a little love. Engine and tranny feel tight and smooth however. Loving it so far.

Anyhow, one issue I have at the moment is the rear hatch does not lock - at all.

The key I got with it does not lock or unlock any of the doors - only turns the ignition. Apparently an ignition replacement in its history somewhere and the original keys were misplaced (I'm guessing).

The key fob does lock/unlock the doors and hatch window. I've pulled the back panel off the hatch and, mechanically, everything (the latch, connecting rods, wires, etc) looks sound.

Could the hatch lock be a fuse, or a burnt out control in the back door? I can't really tell where/how it ties into the handle - it looks really simple from a mechanical perspective.

Any ideas?
somwicked

Re: '03 Vibe base - hatch doesn't lock

Post by somwicked »

And, whats the easy way - if there is one to getting at the fuses under the dash on the driver's side? What a bear that is.
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

Not too sure about your fuse question, but you should get at least one of your door locks re-keyed. If something happens to the remote or the battery dies you won't be able to get into the car. You can take the cylinders out and bring them to a locksmith or there are people that will come to you with a truck. I think I paid about $120 to have an ignition and two lock cylinders re-keyed by a locksmith that came to my house. They can make the door lock match your current ignition key.
somwicked

Post by somwicked »

Thanks. That is actually on my list - once I realized it.