Horn Problems

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
jaredjones

Horn Problems

Post by jaredjones »

I am new here. I just bought a Vibe knowing that the horn does not work and figured I could take care of it on my own. I replaced the horn since the previous one wasn't working even when I tested it. The fuse and relays are good, and there is juice in each of the ports. So I fugured it must be in the wiring either between the steering wheel and fuse box, or between the box and the horn. Anyone know how difficult it is to trace the wiring? Also, has anyone removed the steering wheel cover? I would like to see if the contact points are worn down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I am really loving this car. 6 speed manual is a lot of fun to drive....
joatmon

Re: Horn Problems

Post by joatmon »

When messing around with an airbag, probably best to disconnect the battery. You might not need to, but better safe than sorry.

you didn't say which year, so I'll assume 2003-2008. The horn circuit is pretty simple. Pressing the airbag in the center of the steering wheel should send a ground to the horn relay, which then closes and provides 12V from the horn fuse to the horn. The wire from the steering wheel to the horn relay is supposedly green with a yellow stripe