Trouble Closing Engine Air Filter Hood

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
kjb32121

Trouble Closing Engine Air Filter Hood

Post by kjb32121 »

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the board and could use some help. I've replaced my engine air filter a few times on my 2003 vibe, but when I recently changed out the filter, I noticed that the housing hood doesn't completely sit an seal around the filter compartment. I can see some of the air filter, but the clips did clamp down. I messed with the hood for some 30 minutes, and I could not get the clamps to secure unless the hood was in this position, partially open. I've never notice before, but is this normal? Or does should the whole unit be sealed down? I know it sounds silly, but the hood is very secure even while partically open, but I just CANNOT get it to completely seal all the way around.

Thanks !
Flip-Side

Re: Trouble Closing Engine Air Filter Hood

Post by Flip-Side »

Pull the top of the air box off far enough to look at it's bottom. The edge plastic somtimes breaks and bends to the side, causeing it to not seat properly. If this is the case, break the peice off, throw it away, and put the airbox back together.

Otherwise, just make sure you have the feet slid all the way into the notches on the bottom half, align the top half, and close.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
kjb32121

Post by kjb32121 »

Thanks, I'll take a look. Maybe it's the feet too. The feet don't seem to notch right. But i'll check it out and snap a picture if it keeps giving me problems.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

There should be a tab in one of the corners on the filter, make sure it'sin the right place in the housing.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
kjb32121

Post by kjb32121 »

Hmm...I installed the new filter exactly like I had the old filter. I double checked the filter and it sits perfectly in the bottom of the housing...but when i try to close the top it's still raised near the feet. Now, it appears as if it is sealed, in the sense that even though I can still see some of the white of the filter near the feet (and the tabs are locked in the front) the housing isn't moving so maybe other air and dirt won't get in? Maybe it's always been this way and i never noticed?

Right now the feet don't actually lock into their hinges, are they supposed to? They just sit on the hinges right now. (And when I mean the feet, I mean the left side of the housing, not the 2 metal clamps on the right side.)

Arg
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Did you compare the new filter to the old one? Sometimes the manufacturers change producs slightly or you may have a defectivly made filter.

The latches on the filter housing should close.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)