Auto Headlight Disable but Keep DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) 2009-2010 Mod!

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
XRVibe10

Auto Headlight Disable but Keep DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) 2009-2010 Mod!

Post by XRVibe10 »

Hello fellow genvibers! My name is Brandon and I live in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. I am the proud owner of a 2010 Vibe 2.4 5AT 1SC Model - I have been on this site for some time now (I will be posting in the garage as soon as I can wash & wax & get some good pics) - I am pleased with the community & people that are on this forum/group - the help, ideas and information that is posted and shared here is most valuable and apprecieated I have deceided to add a little do-it-yourself mod here for those with 2009 & 2010 Models - I have been reading and searching the headlamp mods that have been done, and noticed that one mod question hasn't been answered for this model year (if it has, I appologize I just didn't find in my searching) I have a quick solution for Disabling the Auto-Headlights but keeping the DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) espically helpful with us Canadians where DRL's are required - This Mod with give you FULL control over your headlights but retain DRL's (DRL's will remain off if the Parking Brake is set prior to starting the vehicle, really helpful in drive-in theatres!) In this Mod we are disconnecting the connector for the Photocell Sensor behind the cluster in the dash - as apposed to trying to pry it out and damaging the sensor and / or the dash, also if you wish to return it to stock you just have to plug it back in, instead of fishing the connector out of the small hole in the dash! Tools / Parts Required:Phillips Screwdriver1 or 2 Zip TiesMod Time:10-15 minsAll Pictures taken with my HTC Incredible S SmartPhone 8 MP Camera1. To start we need to remove some trim panels, lets start with the driverside vent/mirror control panel - grasp inside the vent and the top of the panel near the dash and pull toward you - you can let it hang there or disconnect the connector for the outside side mirrors, just remember to plug it in before reinstalling.2. Next we need to remove the center stereo/hvac trim plate - same idea here, grasp inside the vent and the top of the panel near the dash and pull toward you (do the same for the rest of the retainers around the plate) Those equipped with Automatic Transaxles will need to place the shifter in Neutral so you can tip the plate out of the way - this plate doesn't need to be disconnected from any connectors and can just be positioned out of the way - NOTE: Once the plate is released from the main dash, the bottom needs to be tipped up so the top "J" hook on the plate will allow it to be removed and placed to the side.3. The Cluster trim shroud is next on the list. Grasp the upper part of the shroud and pull toward you, then pull out the bottom on the left and right side of the steering column where the shroud meets the lower panel - set aside.4. Now for the Cluster itself. Note: Before touching the cluster, ground yourself to the chassis by touching some metal with your bare hands to make sure you don't have any static electricty charge (which, in rare cases, but can happen, can damage the cluster circuts). In this picture we can see the Ambient Light Photocell connector behind the cluster - circled in Blue. There are 3 Phillips screws we have to remove which are circled in yellow - take them out and set aside then pull the Cluster out of the opening - you can choose to leave it plugged in and rest it on the steering column or disconnect the connector and set the cluster aside.5. Release the connector - the release tab should be on the bottom of the connector.6. Once the connector is released you have one of two choices of where to secure the connector lead - I chose this one as it was more secure - I Zip Tied the connector lead to one of the main harnesses running behind the Cluster, as circled in Yellow - (the Blue circle is the connector to the Sensor)7. This is the other option of where to place the connector lead - you have to flip the connector upside down and slide it into the clip (Circled in Yellow) next to the main connector (Circled in Blue) I didn't like this one as much as it seemed like the connector may slide out then fall down and you may get a rattle behind the dash - yours may have a tighter fit so its your own choice where to place it.8. Once the connector is secured, reinstall all the removed components (Cluster, screws, trim plates, etc) The install is reverse of removal. Now here are some pics to show the final results. Please Note: I have done the Option #1 Independant Fog Light Mod which you will see in the pictures Enjoy!Inside the Shop(6000K HID Low Beams, 3000K HID Fog Lights & Xenon Halogen DRL bulbs)DRL onlyDRL & Independant Fog LightsDRL, Indepandant Fog Lights and Running/Parking LightsLow Beam, Fog Lights and Running/Parking LightsOutside Night Pics(6000K HID Low Beams, 3000K HID Fog Lights & Xenon Yellow Halogen DRL bulbs)DRL onlyDRL & Independant Fog LightsDRL, Independant Fog Lights and Running/Parking LightsLow Beams, Independant Fog Lights & Running/Parking LightsEverything!!! Low Beams, Independant Fog Lights, Running/Parking Lights & High BeamsYes, I have read the Threads out there regarding the use of HID's in Open or Non-Projector housings, so please know that I like & Chose this look & it is very functional & adds to my night time driving safety - mine are aimed properly (which is alot of the problem with blinding people) there actually is a cut off line (Not as sharp as projectors, but it is there) and the front lenses are clear, without the refraction lines like the old head lamps which prevent scattered light patterns which cause most of the oncoming blinding.Hope this helps those out there with 2009 & 2010's looking for full control over their headlights but retaining the DRL function - If you wish or need to return it to the factory set up, just plug back in the connector and drive away! Thanx for looking and Thank You GenVibe Happy Modding!If the meets the needs/requirements, please
feel free to add this to the Great Mod Index
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I love this! I may do this someday
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
vibenvy

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by vibenvy »

Nice writeup !Hurry up and get a garage set up for your Vibe! From what I can see in the pictures you posted, it's really nice looking, but I want to see more !
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ColonelPanic

Re: Auto Headlight Disable but Keep DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) 2009-2010 Mod! (XRVibe10)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Good to see this works the same as the earlier models. Nice non-permanent / easily reversible mod. It might even be possible to splice in a switch to enable/disable the automatic feature as you could do with the '03-'08 models. Though hacking would be required.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
XRVibe10

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by XRVibe10 »

Thank for the feedback - I plan to get some pics up here shortly in the garage, just waiting for some nicer weather so I can her all washed & waxed up so I can get some better pics! Nice to see a fellow Jbody (I remember your screen name from the Org J to Envy ) I'm PhantomCavalier on there, don't post much there anymore but still have my 96 Cavi! Thanx again
vibenvy

Re: (XRVibe10)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by XRVibe10 »Thank for the feedback - I plan to get some pics up here shortly in the garage, just waiting for some nicer weather so I can her all washed & waxed up so I can get some better pics! Nice to see a fellow Jbody (I remember your screen name from the Org J to Envy ) I'm PhantomCavalier on there, don't post much there anymore but still have my 96 Cavi! Thanx again Nice to see a fellow J-Body owner ! I don't post much on the JBO anymore either. Too much drama.Can't wait to see more pictures of your Vibe !
alex_nrv

Re: Auto Headlight Disable but Keep DRL's (Daytime Running L

Post by alex_nrv »

Whoa! I like the last outside picture with EVERYTHING ON!
But... how did you get the Vibe to have both LOW and HIGH beams to light up at the same time!???? I'm really interested!
Thanks!
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

alex_nrv wrote:Whoa! I like the last outside picture with EVERYTHING ON!
But... how did you get the Vibe to have both LOW and HIGH beams to light up at the same time!???? I'm really interested!
Thanks!
The Low & High beams on at the same time is a factory set-up - unlike most older cars when you switch from lows to highs the one circuit shuts off, and vice versa, once the low beams are on, when you turn on the highs, both are on full, so no modding is required - hope this helps :D
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

XRVibe10 wrote:
alex_nrv wrote:Whoa! I like the last outside picture with EVERYTHING ON!
Thanks!
The Low & High beams on at the same time is a factory set-up - unlike most older cars when you switch from lows to highs the one circuit shuts off, and vice versa, once the low beams are on, when you turn on the highs, both are on full, so no modding is required - hope this helps :D
Riiiight! I never noticed both low beams were staying ON when high beams were turned ON! Really neat :)
When I was turning the HIGH beams ON, I would notice that the front of my car got darker... But it's probably because I had the fog lights ON and they would turn off when the HIGH beams were turned ON. I'll fix that with the independent fog light mod/hack!

Thanks!
leopardgirl88

Post by leopardgirl88 »

Great walkthrough. this took less than 10 minutes to do.
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

leopardgirl88 wrote:Great walkthrough. this took less than 10 minutes to do.
Glad it worked out for you :D - I've also added Amber Chrome turn signal bulbs in the front & rear (from Autolumination.com - Fronts 3157 & Rears 7440) Gives it a nice dark orange look - I will post pics one day in the garage lol
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

XRVibe10 wrote:I will post pics one day in the garage lol
Been waiting for a Garage thread from you for over a year and a half now :P!
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

vibenvy wrote:
XRVibe10 wrote:I will post pics one day in the garage lol
Been waiting for a Garage thread from you for over a year and a half now :P!
Aren't I the worst lol - I had some positive changes in my life & the arrival of my first little one so my time hasn't been my own lately :D - I got pictures already just finding the time to upload is what i'm working on 8-)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

XRVibe10 wrote:Aren't I the worst lol - I had some positive changes in my life & the arrival of my first little one so my time hasn't been my own lately :D - I got pictures already just finding the time to upload is what i'm working on 8-)
I guess having a kid is a pretty legitimate excuse :P!

Congratulations :)!
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

vibenvy wrote:
XRVibe10 wrote:Aren't I the worst lol - I had some positive changes in my life & the arrival of my first little one so my time hasn't been my own lately :D - I got pictures already just finding the time to upload is what i'm working on 8-)
I guess having a kid is a pretty legitimate excuse :P!

Congratulations :)!
Thanx vibenvy! :D