Automatic headlights

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
DonB

Automatic headlights

Post by DonB »

Last night my ALC system stopped working so when I got home I dug the manual out. One of the things it mentioned was if the emergency brake is on the ALC doesn't work, which makes me think there is a switch somewhere that the linkage trips when you pull the brake on. If there is a switch and being winter in Wisconsin I'm wondering if the switch would be mounted somewhere where the ice and snow could affect it? The lights will work on Manual. If there is a switch could some tell me where it's located? The Vibe is a 2003 model
joatmon

Re: Automatic headlights (DonB)

Post by joatmon »

The parking brake switch is in there right with the parking brake handle in the center console between the front seats, so hopefully it's not jammed with snow and ice Also, if that were sending a false indication, the brake indicator in the instrument cluster should be lit up, since it is triggered by the same switch.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

resurrecting an older thread... so i just noticed yesterday, that my ALC won't turn off. the last few days here have been bright sun, no clouds.usually, i'll start the car, the drl comes on and if i go into a tunnel or something, the headlight indicator on the dash comes on, but the last couple of days, the dash indicator is on... no way to turn the full night time driving lights off?
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
ColonelPanic

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by ColonelPanic »

If there isn't a shadow from the 'A' pillar falling on the sensor, and the light levels are not low enough to cause the ALC to kick in, it almost sounds like the sensor is bad...You can revert back to DRL-only / manual light control if you disconnect the sensor. If that doesn't happen, then I would suspect a DRL relay issue. Might be worth a shot to see if it's the sensor or DRL relay. To get to the wiring for the sensor, pull the gauge trim ring panel off and you'll see a white connector with 3 (green and varying color stirpes IIRC) wires in the harness clipped to the top of the dash above the gauge cluster. That runs to the sensor, if you disconnect it you'll hopefully have manual control of the lights.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
caincj

Re: Automatic headlights

Post by caincj »

Mine is doing the same thing did you figure out why?
circuitsmith

Re: Automatic headlights

Post by circuitsmith »

Make sure there's nothing on the dash blocking the sensor.
2006 Matrix 5-sp