Uknown button, 2005 Vibe; below A/C switch

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
chukkerlukker

Uknown button, 2005 Vibe; below A/C switch

Post by chukkerlukker »

Just picked up a 2005 Vibe for my daughter; in looking over the previous installation of an XM radio in prep for trying to put an iPod port in its place, I removed the trim panel from around the radio. This panel includes the AC on/off controls, and vent, on the left side, and the Hazard Warning Switch, the Rear Window Defroster Switch, and Passenger Airbag status indicator above the radio. BUT!!Below the 'Recirculation' button is another button, same size & shape, but it doesn't move and has no label. Behind it there is some sort of cable end stuck into a socket, and I could remove that from its socket, and move the inner cable, but I have no earthly idea where it might go. I put it all back, and everything seems to work fine, but I'm really puzzled.At first I thought this would be a great place to put an AUX input, but maybe not. Does anybody have any idea what this might go to? I'm gonna try to take some pics, and I have searched the forums, but I have no idea what to search for, except 'unknown button'.Thanks,Chuk G.Cary, NC
Kamikaze

Re: Uknown button, 2005 Vibe; below A/C switch (chukkerlukker)

Post by Kamikaze »

it doesn't do anything, as for the cables, I don't believe anything goes to the location with the hard plastic "button"I know that the Matrix uses that spot for the Rear defrost button, and has a clock in place of where the air bag info is on the vibe.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by chukkerlukker »Below the 'Recirculation' button is another button, same size & shape, but it doesn't move and has no label. Behind it there is some sort of cable end stuck into a socket, and I could remove that from its socket, and move the inner cable, but I have no earthly idea where it might go. I put it all back, and everything seems to work fine, but I'm really puzzled.The button does nothing.The cable is used to link the recirculate switch to the rotary air direction switch. If the cable is hooked up, and if recirculate is turned on, rotating the air direction switch to full defrost, or to half defrost/half floor will automatically disengage recirc. The theory is that that defrost works better with fresh air, instead of recirculating humid air. I have that cable disconnected in my car, mostly because I seem to pull that bezel off from time to time and since I never use recirc, I just stopped bothering to hook it back up. One less thing to mess with when pulling the bezel.A similar "we know what you need more than you do" set up is that there is also an electrical connection behind the air direction switch, so that if you switch to defrost or half defrost/half floor, it will automatically turn on AC, because running the AC even with temp set to warm produces less humid air Quote, originally posted by chukkerlukker »At first I thought this would be a great place to put an AUX input, but maybe not. If I were going to wire up an aux input in a 2005, I'd run a hidden wire under the carpet to the center console. That way, you can have the audio source in there, out of sight, no visible wires to taunt smash and grabbers with. Since you have a 2005, you might also want to look into this thread: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=13711 to get a convenient power source for that audio sourceQuote, originally posted by chukkerlukker »Does anybody have any idea what this might go to? I'm gonna try to take some pics, and I have searched the forums, but I have no idea what to search for, except 'unknown button'.search is a challenge, got to find the right search terms and even then ...Anyway, some of the previous threads about the dummy third button are:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id ... d?id=33739
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

First welcome! Enjoy the car, hard not to.Owner's manuals are on this site...... http://www.genvibe.com/images/...e.pdfOn page 3 - 4 Item C is what you speak of.That bottom button does NOTHING, it isn't even a button but rather a plastic filler on the bottom of the AC controls, all of which come as one integral part. You cannot purchase from Pontiac any button to fit in there. I've read the Toyota uses that spot but don't know if that button set will fit. While the Matrix is largely the same car, they do have slightly different sizes on things, like the air bag light area will not switch between models.Good luck, enjoy!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
chukkerlukker

Post by chukkerlukker »

Ahy-yup. That's what I found. Nada, zip, zilch.Oh, well, it was a nice thought. Still might be able to put an LED in the far left of that filler, for some reason. Daughter is certainly enjoying her 'new' car. Still have to do something for iPod interface... hmmmm
gunzy

Post by gunzy »

I like to just pretend it's a "vaporizer" button handy for vaporizing all other traffic that's in my way when I'm late getting somewhere.
torker

Re: Uknown button, 2005 Vibe; below A/C switch (gunzy)

Post by torker »

They make units like Zune where you can tune the radio to something like 88 MHz and the little unit will transmit your mp3 at that frequency and your radio picks it up. Myself , I picked up a Kenwood HU for 119 dollars that has the input.
I plan on arriving at the grave used up, worn out and yelling WOW what a ride !!