Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Vibetastic

Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece

Post by Vibetastic »

Since Jiffy Lube never seems to be able to get my glove box door on correctly, and continues to check my cabin air filter even though I tell them not to every time, I bought a filter on Ebay recently so I could replace it myself.Apparently, the knuckleheads at Jiffy Lube failed to put back the piece that holds the cabin air filter in place at some point in time. It must be a long, thin piece of plastic that snaps over the opening. I discovered it was missing when I replaced the filter this weekend. I need to replace that piece. Does anyone have a part number for it? I figure I can get it much faster from a Toyota dealer than a Pontiac dealer.Also, I will be looking for someplace else to change my oil from now on.
Proud owner of a 2005 Vibe. Moon & TunesAlloy wheelsOnStar Lava with Slate interior
BlueCrush

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (Vibetastic)

Post by BlueCrush »

They most likely broke it off due to not opening it properly. Apparently it is easy to break if try to open it the wrong way. If it happened to mine I would probably just use duct tape to close it back up.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
lovemyraffe

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (BlueCrush)

Post by lovemyraffe »

It is extremely easy to break. I broke mine off and had to use duct tape to keep it on.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Vibetastic

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (lovemyraffe)

Post by Vibetastic »

Here's a picture. Does it look broken?
Proud owner of a 2005 Vibe. Moon & TunesAlloy wheelsOnStar Lava with Slate interior
dinkers123

Post by dinkers123 »

looks broken, I let jiffy lube replace my cabin filter once then a couple years later I did it myself and saw what they broke that same piece on mine. They also didn't put the right filter in, it was jammed and crushed.
HORSESCO

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (dinkers123)

Post by HORSESCO »

I am new to this "in-cabin air filter" I did have brakes plus replace it (60.00 installed ouch!) when they did the serpentine belts, fluids and shocks/alignment when i first got it a week ago (115k miles). But do you remove the glove box and also how often does it need replaced? Thanks!
star_deceiver

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (HORSESCO)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by HORSESCO »But do you remove the glove box and also how often does it need replaced? Thanks! You do not need to remove the glove box entirely in the 09-10's, just push the sides in and let it hang. Have a look at it every now and then, it collects leaves and dirt and such, give it shot with some compressed air or a vacuum! http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=38999
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Whelan

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (star_deceiver)

Post by Whelan »

Problem 1: You went to Jiffy Lube.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
HORSESCO

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (star_deceiver)

Post by HORSESCO »

How often on an 04? Thanks
Cruxless

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (Whelan)

Post by Cruxless »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Problem 1: You went to Jiffy Lube.I agree. Stop throwing your money away on simple services you can perform yourself. What's wrong with you?
Cruxless

Post by Cruxless »

Quote, originally posted by HORSESCO »How often on an 04? ThanksTo many factors to consider. Check your filter once every three months and if it's dirty change it.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Somebody owes you a new HVAC box 'cause I don't think you can replace just *that* piece.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Cruxless

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (ColonelPanic)

Post by Cruxless »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Somebody owes you a new HVAC box 'cause I don't think you can replace just *that* piece. You can find it all you have to do is look. (Note: This is for an 05 Matrix)http://www.toyotapartscenter.n...gid=0
ColonelPanic

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece (Cruxless)

Post by ColonelPanic »

The Matrix and Vibe have an entirely different HVAC box in the dash. The cabin air filters won't even interchange so I'm not sure if the door would...

Image Image
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

I blow mine out or vacuum it once every 3 or 4 months. Replace it when is starts to look overly dirty.Not replaceing or cleaning it won't be the end of the world, you'll just gradually get less air from the system. Removing it entirely will give you better airflow at the cost of more dust in the cabin.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Cruxless

Post by Cruxless »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »The Matrix and Vibe have an entirely different HVAC box in the dash. The cabin air filters won't even interchange so I'm not sure if the door would...Yes, I know that. That's why I stated it was for the 05 Matrix. The point I was making is that people should look before they assume something isn't available.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Well, excuse the eff out of me. Nobody here that I recall so far has ever actually repaired this, duct tape was always the approved fix. So I had assumed that the parts were unavailable, expensive, or a difficult fix. The hinged door is a (removed)-poor design on Toyota's behalf anyway, it needs a removable cover that could easily be repaired/replaced if it gets broken. And GM screwed up by putting in the incorrect removal instructions in the owner's manual. Bad deal all around.

Image Image
Cruxless

Post by Cruxless »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Well, excuse the eff out of me. You're excussed
Vibetastic

Post by Vibetastic »

Quote, originally posted by Cruxless »I agree. Stop throwing your money away on simple services you can perform yourself. What's wrong with you?As I mentioned above, I told them NOT to check the filter and they did it anyway.Do I have any legal recourse against Jiggy Lube? How can I prove they broke it?I've stopped going to Jiffy Lube. I tried Oil Can Henry's last week. They change the oil while I sit in the car so I can guard the glove box door.
Cruxless

Post by Cruxless »

Quote, originally posted by Vibetastic »As I mentioned above, I told them NOT to check the filter and they did it anyway.Do I have any legal recourse against Jiggy Lube? How can I prove they broke it?I've stopped going to Jiffy Lube. I tried Oil Can Henry's last week. They change the oil while I sit in the car so I can guard the glove box door.Why not just do the oil change yourself? Seems foolish to pay someone else to do it. Oh well, I guess some people just don't know how to do so, have the means to do so, or care to do so. As for your legal standpoint on this matter, the answer is no. You do not have a case unless you can prove that the filter door was present and intact prior to their work. If I remember correctly the door is currently no where to be found. So it stands to question whether the door was there to begin with and when infact was it lost. Going forward if you're going to have others work on your car demand that the shop perform a pre and post check of the vehicle noting the damages (the same as you would with a rental). These checks will give you more of a leg to stand on when filing a damage claim. Note: If the shop refuses to do a pre and post discrepancy check take your car somewhere else to be worked on.
Vibetastic

Post by Vibetastic »

Quote, originally posted by Cruxless »Why not just do the oil change yourself? Seems foolish to pay someone else to do it. Oh well, I guess some people just don't know how to do so, have the means to do so, or care to do so. I am capable of changing the oil, I just don't have anyplace to do it at this time. I currently live in a small apartment with no garage and auto repair is not allowed in the street.I've been building air-cooled VW and Corvair engines for over 25 years, so I've changed alot of oil in my day.I think we should have a reasonable expectation that parts will not be broken off our cars when we take them in for a simple oil change, especially parts not anywhere near the drain plug.At least with Oil Can Henry's, I can watch from the drivers seat everything that is going on. They have cameras under the car and pointed at the open hood. I can shout "hey, don't touch that!" if I see something being done wrong.
jaimedc0

Post by jaimedc0 »

I have just replaced the cabin filter, my self, for the first time. I will never pay someone else for that service. Giant waste of money. I also see the the cabin filters purchased at AutoZone or CAP are a dumb purchase. For now on I am going to Sears and buy a home furnace filter. I will cut it down to size. The Sear filters only cost a few bucks. If I cut them correctly, I would get at least to cabin filters out of one home filter.I found this forum yesterday and already I have found answers to so many questions. Thanks guys. BIG HELP!
cjoelm

Re: Jiffy Lube Lost Cabin Air Filter Piece

Post by cjoelm »

Hi
Is it possible to remove the hvac box without removing the dash? I have the part to replace my missing door for the cabin air filter. Thanks!