How-To: Cleaning MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
erch

Re: How-To: Cleaning MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor (jkm311)

Post by erch »

Great posts. I cleaned the MAF several times - didn't read far enough down to see the post about the wires needing cleaned. Finally got it cleaned up and started the engine - ran great because it was already warm. Went back outside about a half hour later and it started up and with the temperature around 45* it idled rough around 500 rpm. I drove a few miles and it was still tough, but after about 10 miles it ran really well - idle back up to 750 or so when i put it in park. it was idling around 500 in drive just before that. A new MAF or another cleaning? I used electronic cleaner because that is what I had. I wonder if it was not strong enough. I noticed one side of the amber colored temp bulb looked sorta pitted - it had discolored dots on it - even after it was cleaned.Also, I am looking on ebay for a new part - why would the 2005 part not fit a 2006?
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

Yes, You are using the correct cleaner. Because you are JUST cleaning dust dirt and oils off the MAF. Do NOT use carb cleaner or anything that strong. FYI- There are 2 parts to the MAF. Temperature sensing and Air Flow. The bulb is the temp sensor. Pitting-That may be bad in your case. FYI-CLEANING The MAF does NOT fix EVERYTHING. You may have a sticky IDLE air control. 2003-04 FWD and 2003-2006 AWD have this issue sometimes. I did... Also, what part are you looking for?
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
ToBScholarly

Re: How-To: Cleaning MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor

Post by ToBScholarly »

Hi folks!
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all those who took the time to post and contribute to this thread many moons ago. I just used it to clean my MAF and it cleared my CEL right up! The directions were super easy to understand and all the comments were very helpful.
I have never done ANYTHING on any car before now but the close up pictures and descriptions empowered me. My 12 year old even helped out.

Thanks again for keeping my Vibe healthy!
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Can somebody please clear the air for me regarding carb cleaner, and if I can or can not use it to clean my MAF?
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

KITT222 wrote:Can somebody please clear the air for me regarding carb cleaner, and if I can or can not use it to clean my MAF?
Don't take the chance. The can of proper Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner should only cost around $3/$4.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ToBScholarly

Post by ToBScholarly »

star_deceiver wrote:
KITT222 wrote:Can somebody please clear the air for me regarding carb cleaner, and if I can or can not use it to clean my MAF?
Don't take the chance. The can of proper Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner should only cost around $3/$4.
$7.99 at Advanced Auto Parts.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

ToBScholarly wrote:$7.99 at Advanced Auto Parts.
Just checked... must have grabbed mine while it was on sale. $7.99 at Cambodian tire. Still... one can should last the life of your vehicle!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Asked question, then realized I had a can of MAF cleaner. Cleaner MAFs for the whole family! This weekend only!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibenvy wrote:I cleaned our MAF/IAT sensors today. I picked up a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner at Walmart for less then $5.00.

After doing a little more research online about cleaning the MAF sensor, I discovered the two most important things to look for in a cleaner are "quick drying" and "leaves no residue", both of which are stated right on the can of the CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.
Just a reminder that it doesn't have to be MAF cleaner. I have used the above electronics cleaner a couple times now without issue.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Mark

Post by Mark »

I clean mine twice a year when I replace the air filter element, it only takes a minute to pull it out and spray it off. I don't disconnect the battery when I do mine, but I did the first time I cleaned it when it was really dirty and I was having performance issues. If it's not that dirty I don't think there's any real benefit to resetting the ecm every time.

One can of CRC MAF cleaner lasted me several years, and I spray the crap out of it. Also use it on the MAP sensor in my truck, but I have to soak that in brake cleaner first, and then I use the MAF cleaner to spray off any residue.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
stinkypete

Post by stinkypete »

I have a 2004 GT and was getting a stumble off the line, saw this and cleaned my MAF w/ CRC brake cleaner and stumble is gone. Thx
triz

Post by triz »

Cleaning the MAF does wonders. I like to clean the MAF, throttle body, and run some Amsoil PI Performance Improver through the fuel system when I do it.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
fpsfreak209

Post by fpsfreak209 »

ok so i did this.i allowed about 15 minutes to dry.i started car for 20 secs.it seemed fine.10 minutes later i started again and now car shakes way more.did i mess up the maf sensor? if so should i buy a used one from pick in pull or a new one? it shakes even more when i go in reverse.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

fpsfreak209 wrote:ok so i did this.
Did you disconnect the negative battery cable before doing it?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
fpsfreak209

Post by fpsfreak209 »

ok it looks like it got fixed.i guess i needed to let the car run for more minutes.computer needed to relearn all the stuff.i did some research.so far so good.i noticed engine rumbles slighly lower now.so good thing i got it cleaned. car stopped on me before stop sign so i guess beware after u do this.drive safe :)
canadave

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by canadave »

jkm311 wrote:Did the procedure again, right before a 780-mile car trip this weekend. And man, am I glad I did. The Vibe wasn't down-shifting on slight inclines with cruise engaged (even with the AC on), and I generally enjoyed better performance at various speeds/conditions.However...I'm wondering if cleaning the MAF really had anything to do with the gains. I say this because when I pulled my MAF out, it looked to be much cleaner than when I wrote this how-to. The amber temp "bulb" was shiny, and the thin wires up into the actual MAF looked shiny as well. Not dull with residue. I think this has a lot to do with me getting better at cleaning and re-oiling my K&N drop-in filter. Could just disconnecting the negative on the battery and re-setting the ECU produce the same results (with a clean MAF)?Hmmm...No matter what, the lower RPMs at all times = smoother ride, and most likely a few less drops of gas used up.
Just stumbling across this thread...did we ever get a satisfactory answer to the question in bold? I'm a complete amateur at cars, but it seems to me that this seems a lot more likely explanation for such immediate dramatically improved performance than a more clean MAF sensor. Thoughts?
Last edited by canadave on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Unless you have a large chunk of crap in the MAF cleaning it can do more harm than good. If you insist on cleaning it or the TB then pulling the Negative side off the battery BEFORE you work on it does 3 things. Takes the risk out of damaging the MAF, resets the ECU and is a layer of safety.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
shaeet

Post by shaeet »

I was having some acceleration problems on my XRS this past week. At lower-midrange RPM's the car felt like it had no balls. I previously cleaned the MAF but after looking at this thread I didn't really clean it, I cleaned the temp sensor only thinkin that was the MAF.

So i removed it again on friday & sprayed the hell out of the wires. They were visibily dirty. Popped it back on & instantly the car drove like before with strong acceleration. I recently sprayed my Injen's K&N cone filter w/oil & cleaner and I suspect some of it might have gunked up the MAF causing the issue. If I run into the same problem later I'll definitely know what to do :thumbup:
04 XRS 2ZZ-GE: Injen CAI, hotchkis sways, sportlines on gr2's, brz rims
(Soon For Sale) 05 Vibe 1ZZ auto, 02 WRX Stage 4, 09 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI