California Catalytic Converter

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
staubsails

California Catalytic Converter

Post by staubsails »

I have a 2003 vibe that has California Emissions parts. I live in Minnesota and wonder if I can use the Eastern or non-California Catalytic Converter without messing up the computer.
zionzr2

Re: California Catalytic Converter (staubsails)

Post by zionzr2 »

I wouldnt think there would be any direct problem. The Cat is a mechanical device and not an electronic device.
ou.grizzly

Re: California Catalytic Converter (zionzr2)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »I wouldnt think there would be any direct problem. The Cat is a mechanical device and not an electronic device. Well, what specifically if different between California Emission Vibes and non California Emission Vibes?Something has to be different; either the ECU or Cat. Maybe both. My suggestion is go into your local Toyota Dealer and do some research 1st.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ehoff121

Re: California Catalytic Converter

Post by ehoff121 »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I think I found out the hard way... :?

I would've sworn that the Vibe I bought from a dealer in West Virginia was Federal emissions. I even had the federal cat installed. :roll:

Nine months later, on a really cold day and a short trip, she threw a CEL: P0420 :cry:

Brought it in thinking that she was just running rich and causing the cat to overheat.

Mechanic says it running great and can't find anything wrong. :|

Guess I'll run it until it starts rattling...

Seems the AWD cats are hard to find, so the next one may be a universal with California emissions.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Is anything rattling? P0420 can be caused by many things. Vacuum leaks are common.
Has the gasket between the intake manifold and head been replaced? If not this will unregulated air to get in to the intake which screws up the air/fuel ratio. Also faulty oxygen sensor can result in this code.

Unfortunately, the AWD cars have an extra catalyst in the exhaust manifold, which fail a higher rates compared to the FWD cars. If this is failure is actually caused by the manifold catalyst, you will need to replace the manifold, and they are around $370 +shipping (first one I found https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/ ... ifold-scat).
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Thanks, SJ.

I had to disconnect the battery to clean the MAF, so the code is clear for now. Nothing rattling so far...

When I replaced the exhaust in February, I did it direct fit (federal emissions :oops: ) from the manifold back, not including the cat inside the manifold. Replaced the O2 sensors at the same time and all the pipe gaskets.

Did the intake manifold gasket in the summer of 2016. Yes, I used the orange one ;)

Will update if the code comes back...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum