bad day in the shop

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
bull77

bad day in the shop

Post by bull77 »

Here's what we were planning on completing --- replace pads/rotors and install air intake --- we actually only got the pads done and the garage floor painted.1. Rotors --- sob's didn't want to come off so the stocks stayed on 2. Intake --- got everything hooked up and realized we have the wrong intake oh well, theres always next weekend Stock:Replacements:Intake:
BlueCrush

Re: bad day in the shop (bull77)

Post by BlueCrush »

The garage floor looks good! I wouldn't mind doing that some day. How hard was it?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

I hate when that happens. Like you said... there's always next weekend!
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
kevera

Post by kevera »

The floor looks great,that's the epoxy stuff.Judging by your pic of the rotors,you didn't hit them hard enough.As long as the beer was cold,you had a good day then.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
02csnow

Post by 02csnow »

Your intake is fine as long as no CEL comes on. Just get a small breather filter for the vavle cover hose you have in the pic.See the blue one I have?
Bye Bye Vibe.............
bull77

Re: bad day in the shop (02csnow)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by 02csnow »Your intake is fine as long as no CEL comes on. Just get a small breather filter for the vavle cover hose you have in the pic.we didn't have an obd reader, but the engine light came on after 20mins --- put the stock intake on and reset the batt. and the light went offi looked at a bunch of sri posted by others and some have that hose and others didn't --- even cosmos site didn't helpwhere'd you get that filter?
bull77

Re: bad day in the shop (kevera)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »The floor looks great,that's the epoxy stuff.yah -- $20 off this week at CT longest part was waiting for the floor to dry before applying the paint. Took around 4hrs, but applying the stuff only took 30mins. I think I went overkill on the flakes, but oh well Quote, originally posted by kevera »Judging by your pic of the rotors,you didn't hit them hard enough. i don't know how much harder I could have hit them --- any harder and I would have knocked the car off the jack....
02csnow

Post by 02csnow »

You can get the filter from about any auto parts store that sells acessories.As far as you engine light coming on. I am guessing you have a SRI. Did you cap all the little inlets/outlets coming off the pipe?Some people use the hose that comes with the intake and hook it into the valve cover hose, but it all depends if the inlet/outlet is before or after the MAF sensor. And then some people cap the inlets/outlets and use a breather filter, like I did. Take some pics of the intake all around and post them. I could help you out a little more, seeing that I have an 06 also. Plus it would be a shame that you bought it and cant use it.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by 02csnow »Take some pics of the intake all around and post them. I could help you out a little more, seeing that I have an 06 also. Plus it would be a shame that you bought it and cant use it.Here's some pics of the intake --- I used the supplied hose, it comes before the MAF sensor.
02csnow

Post by 02csnow »

Ok. I cant see the inlet/outlet on the intake, but you said you used the supplied hose. What did you tie it into? And when you say it comes before the the MAF, does that mean in between the MAF and filter or the MAF and throttle? If the inlet/outlet is between the MAF and filter, cap it and put a breather filter on the hose coming from your valve cover.If it is between the MAF and throttle. Tie the supplied hose into the hose from the valve cover.Here are some pics of how I did it. I actually have 2 inlet/outlets, but I still went with the breather filter.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by 02csnow »Ok. I cant see the inlet/outlet on the intake, but you said you used the supplied hose. What did you tie it into? And when you say it comes before the the MAF, does that mean in between the MAF and filter or the MAF and throttle? hose is between the maf and the filter --- we connected it like this:connected the hose to the Blue location for the Red hose..

Attached files
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by bull77 »i don't know how much harder I could have hit them --- any harder and I would have knocked the car off the jack....you aren't working on the car, on nothing but the jack are you.... Bad bad bad bad... Get yourself a PAIR of jackstands, lift the front of the car and place one on each side.. that way you can REALLY wrench on the car without fear if it coming down.. Them rotors do look seriously bad... You got any sort of torch? a little heat wrenching could help break up the rust..
bull77

Re: bad day in the shop (Sublimewind)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »you aren't working on the car, on nothing but the jack are you.... Bad bad bad bad... Get yourself a PAIR of jackstands, lift the front of the car and place one on each side.. that way you can REALLY wrench on the car without fear if it coming down.. Them rotors do look seriously bad... You got any sort of torch? a little heat wrenching could help break up the rust.. not to worry -- i meant standsi'll have to see about the torch. We were going to hit it directly with the hammer but didn't want to damage anything in case it wouldn't come off
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Whew, ok... lol... Yeah, hit it directly with the hammer, if you had a small sledge, that would help to, that rotor to hub joint is crazy rusted, worse than i've seen before..
kanata_matrix

Post by kanata_matrix »

For rotors : Lot of WD40 spray inside and wait for 15 mins ...I used a piece of 2x4 about 5 feet long to bang my rusty rotors out.For intake: Remember to remove the negative on battery before remove the maf sensor to avoid engine light on. And you don't have to connect that hose to the intake tube...I didn't do it and it was fine. But if you need the breather I have a spare one lol
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by bull77 » I think I went overkill on the flakes, but oh well ....You can't overkill on the flakes... trust me... eventually the epoxy will start to flake, and when it does.. you'll be happy you had a bunch of flakes... that way you can't tell where it's flaking... I would suggest getting some sort of rubber protector to put on the base of the jack stands... that's eventually what has started making my floor flake after a few years...
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Just whack the rotors. You're throwing them out anyhow. Don't hit the lugs.
"Draco" 09 Steel Blue Base Vibe 1.8, auto, moonroofR.I.P. "FROST" 06 Frosty White Base Vibe, auto, Moonroof and Monsoontotalled when a bus t-boned us.
02csnow

Post by 02csnow »

Dont even use the supplied hose. When pull the stock intake out, all you should have to disconnect is the MAF sensor and the hose from the valve cover.Connect the MAF sensor to the SRI, cap the inlet/outlet and put a breather filter on the hose coming from the valve cover.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

use a screwdriver like a chisel around the rusted hub. chiseling off the rust... or even better yet... use and airchisel. would break up the rust in about five seconds.watch if you use a torch, if you have used any wd-40 or liquid wrench... that would be a very bad ending to a very bad day.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by 02csnow »Dont even use the supplied hose. When pull the stock intake out, all you should have to disconnect is the MAF sensor and the hose from the valve cover.Connect the MAF sensor to the SRI, cap the inlet/outlet and put a breather filter on the hose coming from the valve cover. done done and done. thanks to bao (kanata_matrix) who gave me a breather filter and a cap no engine light --- sounds great -- thanks 02csnownow onto the rotors
kanata_matrix

Post by kanata_matrix »

Right on Alan...that engine bay look sexier than ever lol . Waiting for the front rotors pics soon.
bull77

Re: (kanata_matrix)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by kanata_matrix »Right on Alan...that engine bay look sexier than ever lol . Waiting for the front rotors pics soon.i'll post them when you decide to sell the rsb to me haha
Sublimewind

Re: bad day in the shop (keithvibe)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »use a screwdriver like a chisel around the rusted hub. chiseling off the rust... or even better yet... use and airchisel. would break up the rust in about five seconds.watch if you use a torch, if you have used any wd-40 or liquid wrench... that would be a very bad ending to a very bad day.That's a GREAT idea... IF he's got one... hit the rotor with the AC on one side and at the same time pop it from the back with a hammer... all you are trying to do is get it to move, once it moves, it IS coming off... It's just gettin it to move..
bull77

Re: bad day in the shop (Sublimewind)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »That's a GREAT idea... IF he's got one... hit the rotor with the AC on one side and at the same time pop it from the back with a hammer... all you are trying to do is get it to move, once it moves, it IS coming off... It's just gettin it to move.. nope don't have one, but I'll try the chisel method and buy more wd40
kanata_matrix

Post by kanata_matrix »

WD40 and block of wood bang them out safer than chisel...you don't want to dent the hub lugs