This mod will allow you to turn on the foglights when you switch the parking lights on. You will no longer have to leave the headlights on to use the foglights! Also, your foglights will stay ON when you switch to hi-beams! You will still have full control of the foglights with the stock switch.
Some info to know:
-Canadian spec Matrixes don't have the same fog light switch wiring so this method will not work for them.
-It's a good idea to disconnect the (-) cable from your battery terminal before doing any wiring modifications. This is to prevent and shorts during the cutting.
-If you use the tap in connectors pictured, make sure you buy the right size. They need to be able to at least fit 18 gauge sized wiring. If the connectors you buy are too big, they will not properly pierce the wiring insulation.
-Also make sure you clamp them tightly. THEY NEED TO PIERCE THE WIRE INSULATION to make a good connection.
First, you will need to disable your auto-lights/drl's.
-Tap-in connector ($1.69/4pk at Radio Shack)
-10 minutes of your time
1. Remove the lower section of the steering column cover by loosening the 3 screws. Two screws are between the steering wheel and the base cover. The third one is just to the right of the tilt-wheel lever.
2. On the lower-left side of the steering column is a white wire harness. Separate the GREEN/WHITE and GREEN/ORANGE wires from the rest of the bundle.
3. Take your snips and cut the GREEN/ORANGE wire. Make sure you leave some wire length to work with.
4. Take the GREEN/WHITE wire and splice it with the length or GREEN/ORANGE wire closest to the plastic harness. Make sure the metal blade on the tap-in pierces all the way through the wire insulation.
I used the pliers to clamp the connector's blade onto the inserted wires then I closed the hasp.
5. Insulate the tip of the left over GREEN/ORANGE wire. I just clamped it underneath the hasp that keeps the splicer closed. This will keep it from shorting against anything.
6. Test it out to see if it works.