HOW TO: 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OVERLAY INSIDE MOUNT

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Blanco_Diablo

HOW TO: 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OVERLAY INSIDE MOUNT

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Here is a little step-by-step for mounting the Grafxweks inside mount third brake light overlay. Enjoy. Sorry it is so big.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

oh nice write up, glad you were able to get it on there! I have the 3rd brake light as a LED now so the VIBE doesnt show through as good :/
tribalman

Re: (northvibe)

Post by tribalman »

northvibe, i think if you were to put a piece of slightly frosted glass or perspex there it'll keep the brightness of the LED, and also dissipate the light a bit so it doesn't have the hot spots like the LED would have
None. Vibe is gone.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

blanco great write up! i've done this a few times, but never thought to post. great job!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Blanco_Diablo

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Thanks, hope it comes in handy for other members! It's easier than it seems
Whelan

Re: (Blanco_Diablo)

Post by Whelan »

Agreed North, pick yourself up some of that frosted contact paper they sell in HD or Office Max and stick on the back there. Should help to dissipate the LED light more.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Re: (Whelan)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Agreed North, pick yourself up some of that frosted contact paper they sell in HD or Office Max and stick on the back there. Should help to dissipate the LED light more.yup i was thinking that...but again. engineers are what class? lazy
B4snake

Post by B4snake »

Do you know where I could find new rivets.. I kinda got really frustrated with removing them and well, one thing let to another.. And now I need new ones!
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

nice right up, when i attempted to install my LED 3rd brake light, it took me awhile to get those rivets out for some reason lol
ramenboy...

Re: (B4snake)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by B4snake »Do you know where I could find new rivets.. I kinda got really frustrated with removing them and well, one thing let to another.. And now I need new ones! your best bet is to get to the dealer. check the parts list on this forum. i'm not sure if they're exactly the same size as the retainers for the front/rear bumper fascia, but i had to replace one of them and they were $10 each. ouch.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

This Mod Just added to the index!
Herb

Re: HOW TO: 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OVERLAY INSIDE MOUNT (Blanco_Diablo)

Post by Herb »

Thanks for the great instructions!
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Blanco_Diablo

Re: HOW TO: 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OVERLAY INSIDE MOUNT (Herb)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Looks good!
milocas

Post by milocas »

can someone give me the size of the third light?!?! thanks
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
ZubenElGenubi

Re: HOW TO: 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OVERLAY INSIDE MOUNT (milocas)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by milocas »can someone give me the size of the third light?!?! thanksSize 912...in owner's manual.Great write up, BTW. I wish I'd been smart enough to search the forums before trying to replace the center brake light bulb. The owner's manual instructions are ¢r@P and I broke the clips. Then I saw an old post from Colonel Panic in another thread and realized I could have just popped the hatch glass, removed the red lens and swapped out bulbs! Took me less than a minute that way. Shoot, now I'm gonna have to fork over a Jackson for new clips. Rats.
SoCal_CJ

Post by SoCal_CJ »

hi where did you get the LED 3rd brake light??
llebcire

Re: HOW TO: 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OVERLAY INSIDE MOUNT (SoCal_CJ)

Post by llebcire »

FYI-You may want to add a disclaimer to this that people check with their local authorities before doing this regarding legality and then make a decision.To the best of my knowledge, it is illegal to obstruct any brake lamps - creative car dealers used to do this with their logos as an overlay on the third brake lamp.From Minnesota:MN 169.57Subd. 4. Alteration of stop lamp prohibited. On a vehicle that must be equipped with asingle center high-mounted stop lamp under federal motor vehicle safety standards, and on anyother vehicle equipped with a similar stop lamp, a person may not alter the stop lamp by theaddition of an overlay or other device, or install a replacement lens, if the alteration or installationalters or obscures any portion of the lamp or affects the intensity of light.
Mr Magoo

Re: HOW TO: 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OVERLAY INSIDE MOUNT (llebcire)

Post by Mr Magoo »

FYI I am interested in installing one of these decals on my 3rd brake light so I've done some research into the legality of it here in Indiana. After reviewing the code, I find nothing that prohibits it here in Indiana. You can review the code for yourself here. http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar19/ Chapter 6 deals with lighting. Enjoy!
2007 Salsa base W/Cladding, 2008 Platinum base W/Cladding Picture: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...).jpg