RK Sport Ram Air Hood question

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Blanco_Diablo

RK Sport Ram Air Hood question

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

I had an accident in my 06 mono Abyss vibe. I need to get a new hood anyways, so I plan on ordering the RK Sport Ram Air hood that I have been scoping out for a while. The collision shop is trying every excuse in the book to change my mind about purchasing an aftermarket hood. My question is...how easy/difficult was it to get the RK Sport hood mounted and aligned. Is it a pain in the a$$? Was it pretty simple? RK Sport claims it fits the OEM bolt pattern and I have seen a handful of vibes owners rocking that hood. Would an average collision shop be able to do this work swithout too much hassle? They seem very skeptical, but I really want this hood! Help me out.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

installing that hood is the same as oem. it just needs to be bolted on, then fitted so it closes properly. if they cant do that...i dont think i would trust them touching my car :/ it is very simple, you could do it yourself if you wanted too.by the way, welcome to genvibe!!
Blanco_Diablo

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Thanks for the welcome. Got another question...What about painting the hood. It shoud not be a problem since it comes primed and ready for paint right? Not sure if this shop just has issues with aftermarket parts because they have not seen many over here in Oregon or what. Maybe they are getting kickbacks from GM or have had to fit some pretty poor quality parts in the past.
kevera

Re: (Blanco_Diablo)

Post by kevera »

I have the hood so maybe I can help.The hood is excellent quality and has reinforced mounting points and it also comes with the latch.Now as with any hood replacement,you will have to align it,but it was fairly easy.So don't worry,just get it.I would reprime it just to be sure,as I did.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Blanco_Diablo

Re: (kevera)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Sounds good Kevera, I'm going for it! I'll ask them to reprime to be on the safe side.Thanks for the insight.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

kevera - i demand pics of this "hood" you have
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »kevera - i demand pics of this "hood" you haveBEEN demanding for a while now, to no avail. I think he's full of it!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
kevera

Re: (damronjr)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »kevera - i demand pics of this "hood" you haveHope your a big guy,I might have to kick your (removed). Quote, originally posted by damronjr » I think he's full of it! Maybe,maybe not.Why do you guys want pics?I already took all my pics off the site.
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »Maybe,maybe not.Why do you guys want pics?I already took all my pics off the site. What, why? Why you getting your panties in a bunch, we just love your Vibe and want to see some new pics in its current glory!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
kevera

Post by kevera »

My panties are always bunched up.It was directed towards North Thanks for the nice words,but I'm going to the Epic meet,so you will see it then.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

this thread has official gone off course and is no longer work safe .... thanks Kev...
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
vibegtcouple

Re: RK Sport Ram Air Hood question (Blanco_Diablo)

Post by vibegtcouple »

hi i got the hood in carbon fiber the fenders had to be move out a little and the latch had to be moved up with a jack and a 2x4 about a 1/4 inch so the hood would latch right . from what i seen no hood is the some the mood that they are in dry diffent every time . when i had the pony (mustang) i got a 4 inch cowl and it never fit right but when my buddy got a hood it fit great. here is my hood

Attached files
Blanco_Diablo

Re: RK Sport Ram Air Hood question (vibegtcouple)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

I love that carbon fiber version, it looks amazing! Unfortunately it's too spendy for me... still trying to convince myself that I don't need CF. Hopefully I will catch them on a good day, hate to prove the collision shop right.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

vibegtcouple, you mind posting more pics of it at different angles? thats a sweet hood.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Here's mine soo far, now if I could only get the rest of the car fixed.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Quick question, the guys at the shop said it did not come with any insulation, is that something I should consider buying for the hood? Kevera, vibegtcouple did yours come with any insulation? Was the hood annoying and loud without it?
kevera

Post by kevera »

The Vibe looks good with the new hood,even unpainted.No,the hood didn't come with the insulation.Even with my new SLP hood,there is no insulation.I could only notice a slight difference,plus when you go aftermarket,who needs stinkin insulation anyways.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

True, thanks for the insight, I'll post new pics once it is all finished.
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Looking good!
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

To make my Ram Air hood functional which intake should I go with (once I have the money that is), a full length CAI or a short ram intake? I'm thinking the Cosmo Racing Short Ram makes the most sense to take advantage of the hood design. All advice is greatly appreciated.
kevera

Post by kevera »

The short ram is your best bet to take advantage of the hood.Don't forget to take a few pics.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Here it is, finally fixed and painted. Just got it back tonight, it's dark and rainy...but just had to take a few pics! Will set up a garage soon.

Attached files
CountryVibe

Post by CountryVibe »

looks good
2005 GTmoons & tunes, keyhole covers, SRI,2.5" borla catback exhaust, seatbelt beep deletedWagons Rule.......Sedans Drool
damronjr

Post by damronjr »