How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 - '08 only!

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
TaylorMutts

Post by TaylorMutts »

This process still works in the '08 model. Thanks for a great tip!
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

awesome tip, just did it to my vibe and works wonders, definitly a sticky
Moon_wagon

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by Moon_wagon »

How did I missed that thread? I will do it promptly!
lovemyraffe

Re: (Moon_wagon)

Post by lovemyraffe »

This is a freakin life saver!!! This is freakin awesome!!! No more obnoxious beep!!!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
sholt25

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 and up only! (BlueCrush)

Post by sholt25 »

I have an 07 Vibe and this procedure didn't work for me. Does it only work for 05 & 06? or I am doing something wrong? I turn on the key, hold down the odometer button, wait 10 seconds and then plug in the sea t belt, still says "ODO" on the dash, unplug the seat belt, still says "ODO" on the dash, let go of the button, changes to "Trip A". Please advise, really hate the damn beeping !! Thanks.
Kamikaze

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 and up only! (sholt25)

Post by Kamikaze »

It does work on 07's. (WaveAction's is an 07)Just keep trying, it took me a couple tries before I got it to work. Sorry, it's been a while since I've done it so not sure I can give you any pointers!oh, and Welcome to the boards Sholt25!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
sholt25

Post by sholt25 »

Ahhh!! I finally got this to work! It was a little different on my 07 Vibe, maybe because it is a 5 speed? don't know. Anyway, this is how I did it.1.) Make sure dash says "ODO" first.2.) plug in seat belt.3.) turn ignition to on position4.) wait 2 seconds, then hold down Odometer button.5.) wait at least 10 seconds, unplug seat belt, display changed to B-ON6.) let go of button, display changed to "B-OFF"Still does 4 slow beeps when you start the car, but at least the "stage 2" fast beeps never come, those drove me nuts. I still wear my seat belt most of the time, but this takes away alot of annoyance.
Fermi

Post by Fermi »

Will have to try this on my '07 5sp. I never drive without a seatbelt and haven't ever needed a reminder, but I did notice how annoying it can be on our last road trop. Occasionally my wife would unbuckle to reach something in the back while my son was back there sleeping, only to be woken up by the shrill beeping. Sure hope this works!
Kamikaze

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 and up only! (Fermi)

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by Fermi »I never drive without a seatbelt...Occasionally my wife would unbuckle to reach something in the back while my son was back there sleeping, only to be woken up by the shrill beeping. Sure hope this works! Exactly why I wanted to disable mine!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
ajokey

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 and up only! (Kamikaze)

Post by ajokey »

Worked on my 05 after several tries. Where do I send the check?? Now can we turn off the key in the ignition beeper???ThanksAJO
elcapix

Post by elcapix »

wohooooooo! I was workig yesterday and I print this, as soon as I got to the parking lot I did it and it worked....whoever startet this post should get a free beer from my pocket!
I'm just here for the cerveza... Cosmo Racing CAI----> DoneI can get some parts for you, original GM-FORD-CHRYSLER parts a good price. email me partes@clear.net
Vibe Raider

Post by Vibe Raider »

Too cool....will have to try it
2005 Base Vibe 2-tone Salsa. Lots more to come
Spacely

Post by Spacely »

Anyone been able to get this to work on an '09 Vibe? I've tried several times with no luck.
2009GT

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 and up only! (Spacely)

Post by 2009GT »

Good ? I hate that beep, any help for 09'ers?
Bikerscum

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 and up only! (2009GT)

Post by Bikerscum »

I just spent an hour or so trying anything & everything in my '09 GT.... still beeps. But, I think I have remote start now.
Burns1210

Post by Burns1210 »

I have a question about this feature. I just disabled my dinger, but now the display just says 'airbag', not 'airbag off'. When someone sits in the passenger seat, it says 'airbag on' like it should, but why doesn't it say 'off' anymore?
2008~Auto~Platinum~Monsoon~Sport Package
jumbo

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 and up only! (2009GT)

Post by jumbo »

yeah, someone please, please, PLEASE figure out how to do this with the 09's!! I always wear my seat belt, but i have so much junk in the front seat (laptop, big bag with files, 64 oz water mug) that the sensors think someones in there. Very annoying to have that happen at every single freaking stop light!! ANd please don't do what the dealership did and tell me to buckle the seat belt, that's where the water mug goes, if i buckle the seat belt it either pushes the mug to where it's almost always ready to tip over or i have to unbuckle to get a drink. And when i unbuckle, guess what? ANNOYING DINGS!!!!!!!
MigAZ

Post by MigAZ »

Thanks, BC! It worked like a charm!
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

FYI, when Brian (BlueCrush) said '05+, he really meant '05-'08, but he didn't know that they would have a second generation Vibe at the time. This one is only for the first gen vibes.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
BlueCrush

Re: (engineertwin2)

Post by BlueCrush »

I'll get that title changed...
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
DarkVibe

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 and up only! (jumbo)

Post by DarkVibe »

Quote, originally posted by jumbo »ANNOYING DINGS!!!!!!!wow, it's not that bad lol
2009 Red Vibe GT auto
jerryn

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 - '08 only! (BlueCrush)

Post by jerryn »

Actually this is the default setting for the 09 Vibe.. my light flashes and the beep lasts for three seconds.
Pujon

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 - '08 only! (jerryn)

Post by Pujon »

worked great on the first attempt....This will save a lot of headaches on the long drive for the honey moon Thank you very much
The Lox

Post by The Lox »

Another satisfied customer!
2008 Wave 5-Speed (Mine)2007 Platinum Auto (Hers)
nittanydoug

Post by nittanydoug »

OK, I've tried this probably a dozen times on my 05. I've help in the button while turning the key on. I've pushed it after turning to on. I've counted to ten, I've counted to ten mississippi. Done the buckle, unbuckle and I get nothing.Any hints or tips?
bikeman1

BlueCrush for MOTM -- ya got my vote!

Post by bikeman1 »

AWESOME POST!!! Thanks BC! This is the Beep that Launched a Thousand Cuss Words (make that a thousand million.....)
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....
nittanydoug

Post by nittanydoug »

Yesterday must not have been my day cause I swear I did it exactly the same way.I was buckled in. Turned key to on. Waited the 2 seconds. Held the button for 10+ count, unbuckled, buckled and unbuckled and the b-on came up. Let go of the button and voila! B-off!
bikeman1

The Book of Vibe Secrets ???

Post by bikeman1 »

Like did this go out from NUMMI in a secret volume to all employee families or something???? Where is the source for all this great stuff? Inquiring minds want to know......
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....
motohockey

Post by motohockey »

Hi Blue Crush,Recently purchased a 2005 Vibe AWD and am pretty annoyed by the seat belt beeping so i was happy to find your FIX BUT when i tried it nothing changed??? The odo will not change to b-on while I'm holding down the button and buckling/un-buckling my seatbelt!!! Any further suggestions?Thanks
lovemyraffe

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 - '08 only! (motohockey)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by motohockey »Hi Blue Crush,Recently purchased a 2005 Vibe AWD and am pretty annoyed by the seat belt beeping so i was happy to find your FIX BUT when i tried it nothing changed??? The odo will not change to b-on while I'm holding down the button and buckling/un-buckling my seatbelt!!! Any further suggestions?ThanksSometimes it takes a few tries to get it right. Usually when I do it, it takes me at least 2 times even though I have done it dozens of times.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
satyr2k2

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 - '08 only! (lovemyraffe)

Post by satyr2k2 »

I have no idea what I am doing wrong here- I've got a 2006 GT and I've tried every combination of these steps as I can think of and I have never seen "B-on" on the odo. Please help.. I've been searching for a solution to this for a long time.
jakeschmizzle

Post by jakeschmizzle »

thank you sooooooo much that is the worst part of my 05 vibe gt
PositiveVibes

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 - '08 only! (jakeschmizzle)

Post by PositiveVibes »

YESS!!!... IM A NEW POSTER... i just bought an 06' Vibe (base) last month. and this was the ONLY thing i didn't like about the car. AND NOW ITS FIXED!!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH!... This inspired me to register on here as a member. (ive been browsing for about 2 weeks) WOOoothanks again
DaVibe1

Re: How To: Disable the Seatbelt Beep - '05 - '08 only!

Post by DaVibe1 »

I also had to hold the reset button for 30 seconds before buckling - any less would not work. It was not necessary to 'un-buckle' before letting go of the button.
Quality of life while driving will be improved now. Checking the mail is one issue; also, passengers seem eager to unbuckle before pulling into a parking slot. Just that few seconds is intolerable. If it were a gentle dinging, it would be less offensive.
normandeaud

Post by normandeaud »

I just bought an 08 Vibe which I plan to import into Mexico. Great little car, but the seat belt chime was really annoying. I always wear my seat belts but there are times when you might need to unbelt momentarily for one reason or another and off goes that damn chime again. I was near the point of looking under the seat to see if some wire could be disconnected or cut when I decided to check in on genvibe.com. Surely I couldn't be the only Vibe owner that found this chime irritating. And there it was....such a simple solution. I went out to the car, walked through the steps in a couple minutes and the chime was gone. Wonderful!!! Thank you for this post and all the other terrific info on genvibe.com
bikes1

Post by bikes1 »

Has anyone else noticed that this procedure doesn't work anymore after the Air Bag Recall is done?

I loved having that silly chime gone. :(

Peter Haynes
Dashwood, ON