Irritating --Rattling sound near dashboard (front passenger)!HELP!!

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
dennisdrive

Irritating --Rattling sound near dashboard (front passenger)!HELP!!

Post by dennisdrive »

Hi everybody,I have a eternally frustating problem .It is a small rattling sound which happens only when i acclerate on the drive and it appears to come from the dashboard area near the front passenger .Initaially i thought it was the map book and Cd in the glove box .So i took them out .But it still baffles me that the noise persists.I am at my wits end coz the sound is there only when the car in under acceleration from stationary .Once the speed reaches 40 and above it stops.When it is not moving and i press on the gas there is no noise .The dashboard appears to be nicely secured .What could be the problem ? I appreciate help on this as it has totally made my drive so much unpleasurable.
2004 Salsa Base ATPower PackageSports Package Rear Mid gate & Upper Spoiler.
Petrucci914

Re: Irritating --Rattling sound near dashboard (front passenger)!HELP!! (dennisdrive)

Post by Petrucci914 »

I experience this too when it is cold out. If you look above your gauge cluster you will see a small circular plastic thing on your dash. It sense the light outside and tells the car how bright your lights should be or whatever. If I hold this I don't hear the sound...... I don't know how to fix it.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
MisterHighway

Re: Irritating --Rattling sound near dashboard (front passenger)!HELP!! (dennisdrive)

Post by MisterHighway »

I have the same problem! I don't know what it is.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

there was a TSB about this rattle, so if your under warranty still go bring it in. Mine was "fixed" but i had the rattle in the driver apillar not the dash but they fixed it anyway...
ajflan

Re: (northvibe)

Post by ajflan »

I have the same problem. I think its the passenger air bag.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
TownDrunk

Re: Irritating --Rattling sound near dashboard (front passen

Post by TownDrunk »

Hey guys. Was this ever resolved? I have a 2008 Vibe that has a rattling noise coming from the glove box area when i accelerate. The noise stays once I hit 50mph. It's incredibly annoying. I've tightened the screw in the actual glove box itself to no avail. What can this noise be?
ZBVibe

Post by ZBVibe »

My Solution: Turn up the radio!!!! :lol:
2006 Base Vibe White
81,000 miles
De-badged
Carbon-Fiber overlay hood emblem
Well maintained
More to follow....
jake75

Post by jake75 »

ZBVibe wrote:My Solution: Turn up the radio!!!! :lol:
Can't - the knobs broken. :lol:
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I have a solution that could solve noises near the pillars. I was getting a bad rattle from what I thought was behind the A-pillar. But no. It was actually the sun visor mount. It's just a little punched piece of metal in a cut-out in the Vibe's body. AKA, metal on metal rattle. I fixed it with trim tape and duct tape. No more rattles from that area!

Also, check your door slot for loose stuff. I get a rattle from my umbrella that I keep in there.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Mine has lots of rattles and i discovered the cause of one the other day, the little door that covers the cabin air filter had fallen off and was just rattling around in the dash. unfortunately the clips on top had broken. Duct tape to the rescue! This fixed but one of my rattles coming from that location.